Question motherboard power supply question

olblindman

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2014
My mobo requires 2 - 8 pin connections. My power supply (Corsair 850 shift) has 1 connection for an 8 pin under the Motherboard side of connections, then it has a bunch under the Pcie/cpu side. Do I use one of those? And can one use a piggy back connector? I usually don't like to use those, and wonder why they even make them.....

While I am asking questions, do I need to set up my mobo for windows 11 in BIOS, or are they preset these days? My last Mobo, I had to enable something, as ASUS does not seem to use TPM 2 modules. PCH, or something like that......

There are FOUR 8 pin sockets ON the power supply. ANY of those can be used for either a PCIe 8 pin (6 pin, 6+2 pin) OR an 8 pin (4+4 pin in reality) EPS/CPU connection. DO NOT try to use a PCIe labeled 6+2 cable in the CPU/EPS socket on the motherboard. ONLY use the 4+4 (Connector will snap in half for boards that only require a single 4 pin, which is basically none these days. Generally ALL motherboards these days require either a full 4+4 pin EPS auxiliary CPU power cable OR a 4+4+4 or 4+4+4+4 for some very high TDP processors.

You will KNOW which is which, because the PCIe cables will be a 6+2 while the EPS will be 4+4 or dual 4+4 cables. Yours has a single 4+4 EPS cable. SO, WHICH cable you use ON the motherboard side, matters. Which socket you use from among the four labeled PCIe/CPU on the power supply itself does not matter. Any of those four sockets will work with either of those cables, however you cannot use both cables on the motherboard/graphics card end interchangeably. Graphics card uses PCIe or 12vhpwer while CPU uses CPU/EPS.

As seen at the bottom of the product page for your PSU, here:

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...r-Power-Supplies/p/CP-9020252-NA#tab-overview

olblindman

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2014
There are FOUR 8 pin sockets ON the power supply. ANY of those can be used for either a PCIe 8 pin (6 pin, 6+2 pin) OR an 8 pin (4+4 pin in reality) EPS/CPU connection. DO NOT try to use a PCIe labeled 6+2 cable in the CPU/EPS socket on the motherboard. ONLY use the 4+4 (Connector will snap in half for boards that only require a single 4 pin, which is basically none these days. Generally ALL motherboards these days require either a full 4+4 pin EPS auxiliary CPU power cable OR a 4+4+4 or 4+4+4+4 for some very high TDP processors.

You will KNOW which is which, because the PCIe cables will be a 6+2 while the EPS will be 4+4 or dual 4+4 cables. Yours has a single 4+4 EPS cable. SO, WHICH cable you use ON the motherboard side, matters. Which socket you use from among the four labeled PCIe/CPU on the power supply itself does not matter. Any of those four sockets will work with either of those cables, however you cannot use both cables on the motherboard/graphics card end interchangeably. Graphics card uses PCIe or 12vhpwer while CPU uses CPU/EPS.

As seen at the bottom of the product page for your PSU, here:

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...r-Power-Supplies/p/CP-9020252-NA#tab-overview
Thanks.....that is what I thought, but wanted to be sure. What good are the piggyback cables for? I don't use them and have never seen anyone recommend using them.