Motherboard power supply

hackfederico495

Prominent
Sep 24, 2017
I am going to buy a msi b450 gaming pro carbon ac, with a ryzen 2600 and 16GB of RAM, if you need the model tell me and I will send it.
My power supply is the AEROCOOL KCAS 500w.
The mobo, (appart of the 24pin cable), needs a 8pin pcie+other 4pin-pcie.
My power supply only has two 6+2 pcie cables(and my gpu uses a 6pin cable). I have found on amazon this, and my question is that if you can tell me if that will work fine:

https://www.amazon.es/StarTech-com-8-Inch-Express-Extension-PCIEPOWEXT/dp/B007Y91B80/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1535362920&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=power%2Bextension%2Bpcie%2Bcable&th=1&psc=1

Thank you.
PD:I'm spanish, so sorry if you don't understand something.:)

Solution
Your motherboard is a bit unusual in that it has provision for both a 8 pin atx power lead as well as a 4 pin atx power lead.
These power ports are used for heavy overclocking as well as to power the pcie X16 graphics slots.
I suspect that if you read the motherboard manual it will say that the 4 pin power may not be needed.
That is likely with only one graphics card and only a modest overclock.

However to get that 4 pin power lead, you would want a sata or molex power to 4 pin atx power adapter.
The one you showed goes to a pcie 6 pin.
Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/4-pin-Power-Connector-Molex-Adapter/dp/B005L8Z16Y
You could try that.
Your motherboard is a bit unusual in that it has provision for both a 8 pin atx power lead as well as a 4 pin atx power lead.
These power ports are used for heavy overclocking as well as to power the pcie X16 graphics slots.
I suspect that if you read the motherboard manual it will say that the 4 pin power may not be needed.
That is likely with only one graphics card and only a modest overclock.

However to get that 4 pin power lead, you would want a sata or molex power to 4 pin atx power adapter.
The one you showed goes to a pcie 6 pin.
Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/4-pin-Power-Connector-Molex-Adapter/dp/B005L8Z16Y
You could try that.

Solution
^ +1

Looked through the manual, didn't mention a damn thing about it to be optional. But I found some X470 has 2x8 pin CPU power slot.... Yes, you can run it stock with only 1 8 pin plugged in, but if you need to overclock it well, try the link.

hackfederico495

Prominent
Sep 24, 2017
Geofelt, the idea was to break the 6pin cable of amazon into 4+2, (because the sata to pcie cables that I found on amazon spain didn't convince me :) ).

Is there any problem taking a 6 pin cable or 8 pin cable and breaking it into 4+2 or 4+4? (*)

Anyway, I will use the mobo with a 1050ti and the ryzen mentioned above, 0 overclocking, so I think that there will be no problem.

A friend has a similar setup, (same cpu, same gpu but the b450 mortar, he likes micro-atx mobos...) and the b450 needs a 8pin pcie power supply, and his power supply only had one 4 pin remaining and he is going good with only 4 pin. I only asked to be 100% sure. Thank you anyway. :)

(*) I have thought now the best is to connect all the cables in the mobo for a future. So, as I don't find a good sata to 4pin pcie cable I thought to take a sata to 8pin pcie cable, and take one of the 4+4 pin cable from the power supply, so there's no problem.

You only need the 8 pin atx power plugged in on the pro carbon, the extra 4 pin is nothing more than gimmicky.

You should however replace that aerocool Psu anyway, it's a godawful metal box of cheap tat.

I certainly wouldnt want to be running $500 worth of new components on it & using cable extenders/splitters is just plain asking for a house fire.

Sounds reasonable.
The danger of a cheap psu is not that it might not work.
The danger is that if it should fail under load it can damage other parts.
Here is one list of psu quality.
Try for a tier 1/2 unit.
Seasonic is always good.
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/