Question Motherboard power Usage

Feb 17, 2020
Hello there,
I want to build a server, but I don't think it'll be big enough to warrant "proper" server cpus like the EPYC but looking back at the recent developments from intel and amd, I decided to support team red.

But now there's the question of what motherboard to use. I do know, that especially in idle, the motherboard choice can make a substantial difference regarding power consumption. Unfortunately, I couldn't find much on motherboard idle consumptions. Only, that the x570 chipset seems to use a whole lot more than any of their predecessors.

So, when using a ryzen 3600, how do I find out what would be the most ideal motherboard? x570 is out of the question, but both x470 and x370 seem to support the 3600. I know that there's the general rule of thumb: Less features, less power consumption. Every port, every feature you don't use draws power nonetheless. But comparison engines seldom offer the "number of features".

so long,
MrBlaTi

Last edited:

Oussebon

Upstanding
Feb 17, 2020
I guess the questions are what features do you need from the motherboard / PC?

What are you using the server for exactly?

And what country are you shopping in (as that might affect availability, prices etc)?

I'm assuming budget isn't an issue but you don't want to overspend on things you don't actually need or want.

Feb 17, 2020
I guess the questions are what features do you need from the motherboard / PC?

What are you using the server for exactly?

And what country are you shopping in (as that might affect availability, prices etc)?

I'm assuming budget isn't an issue but you don't want to overspend on things you don't actually need or want.

Nothing particular. It's supposed to be a allround homeserver. NAS and backups, the possibility for me to educate myself on webserver and do some projects, maybe run a mailserver on it and for leisure maybe run a couple of gameservers for my clan. Especially the last two points pushed me to chose a "powerful" processor like the Ryzen 3600. But I don't want it to be a renderfarm of sorts, I wouldn't even slot it with a graphics card if the AMD4 boards weren't notorious for not booting headless. I don't intend to use any PCI-e slots. I basically just want cpu, ram, storage and network capabilities.

Budget isn't an issue per se, but I don't see why I should spend 350 Dollars for something like the ASRock Rack x470D4U, when I just want less features for less power consumption.

I'm from germany btw