Question Motherboard powers on but no display & USB ports don't work, no beeps ?

Mar 22, 2021
No POST, no BIOS, no display at all. And USB ports on the motherboard do not work as of now. The PSU is brand new so I don't believe that's the issue.

Part list:
Mobo - ASUS P5B Deluxe WIFI
CPU - E6600 Core 2 Duo
GPU - BFG 8800 GTX
PSU - AresGame 650W
RAM - Generic DDR2 6400 240 pin 800 mHz

There is currently no OS installed on the HDD and I have an HP ULTRA VGA 1280 CRT monitor that I've been trying to get this to display on, and have also tried an LCD monitor. Nothing with either. They go to standby and the light on the monitors flash while the PC is on, but never an image. I use a DVI-I Dual Link to VGA adapter and the GPU I have has DVI-I Dual Link which I read can support analog output while DVI-D can't.

The Mobo turns on and lights up, LED on the front of the computer tower lights up. All fans spin and turn on. I tried removing all of the RAM (2 sticks of 2GB) and then turned it on in hopes of a beep. No beep was heard. Not sure if the Mobo just doesn't have the ability to make them or if it's got a bigger problem.

When I plug USB items into the back 4 USB ports on the Mobo, no power to any of them. An optical mouse, keyboard, USB stick, and iPhone charger have all been tried with no success. The CPU currently doesn't have a fan (I know, it'll explode and catch on fire. Which hasn't happened yet.) But all I've done so far is power it on with no OS to see if there's a display, and it's not on for more than 10-20 seconds at most. The CPU fan is supposed to be here Tuesday so I'm hoping that will fix it, maybe. But I doubt it. The manual just says no CPU fan may display an error in BIOS, which I obviously can't get to.

What I've tried -
Moving the 2 sticks of RAM around
Leaving only 1 stick of RAM in
Unplugging and plugging back in CPU, GPU, and HDD power
Trying DVI-I to VGA on different monitor

I don't know if the display issue and the USB issue are related, but I've read so many threads regarding this Mobo and how BIOS might need to be updated to accept the E6600, how RAM may not be compatible, etc. Everything LOOKS like it would work fine, can't seem to figure out what's wrong. Still haven't removed the battery or done anything with CMOS. I emailed the seller I bought it from because he said that it worked and was able to enter BIOS. The CPU was shipped with the Mobo btw, already installed. Any ideas?

PSU is suspect --- may be new but it's basically a piece of junk:

Mar 22, 2021
PSU is suspect --- may be new but it's basically a piece of junk:

Hmm... I'll stop by Best Buy or another store real soon today and pick up a real PSU to try and see if that fixes the problems. Thanks

Mar 22, 2021
UPDATE: Purchased and installed a CORSAIR - CX-M Series 650W ATX12V 2.4/EPS12V 2.92 80 Plus Bronze Modular Power Supply from Best Buy. Good news is it's slightly smaller than the previous PSU and fits the case better, plus it's modular so less cables.

Bad news is - it didn't fix anything. In fact in created a new problem, when I hold down the front power button to turn off the computer, nothing happens. I have to turn off the power switch on the back of the PSU to shut down. I can hold the front button until the end of time but it will not turn off. Previously didn't have this problem. Using one stick of RAM in the first slot, so not sure if RAM is the problem. CPU cooler still hasn't arrived but will be here shortly according to Amazon. Maybe something magical will happen when that's installed. Haha.

Just to recap: Still no display, no USB power, and apparently the ASUS P5B Deluxe WiFi mobo doens't have a buzzer so no beeps will be made if something is wrong.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2021
OKAY. So, the CPU cooler didn't affect anything. Disappointing, but kind of expected. The BIOS chip on the mobo looks like the writing on it has faded, so I can't tell what version it is. Apparently a version 0302 accepts my CPU but earlier versions didn't or something like that. The manual for my specific mobo says if I have a dual core CPU to attach a chassis fan to CHA-FAN1 for system stability. But I don't have any chassis fans and I don't think that would cause the lack of display or loss of power to USB ports. The power button on the front is also something I've looked into today. Some threads on this site and other forums have said that if the switch is working and can power the computer on, but cannot hard power off after holding 4+ seconds, it is a mobo/CPU issue. Really not sure here. Maybe I have to buy a new CPU? But then I'll still have the USB power issue I guess. There are PS/2 ports for a mouse and keyboard and some people with similar mobos without the wifi verison have said they used those ports when USB ports weren't working and they had success. Maybe I'll have to spend even more money to see if those work. Idk. This is really a buzzkill

Mar 22, 2021
For anyone maybe slightly interested, I came across a thread about mounting standoffs under the board so the mobo doesn't touch the case. I believe I accidentally screwed one screw into a hole that allowed the mobo to touch the case. It's an old all metal case so this might shorted it from getting USB power or something. I took the mobo out and put it on cardboard. Powered it on without graphics card in. Super long and loud single beep. So I took the RAM out and try to power up. No beep. Another thread on here says if you can take out RAM, HDD, and CPU and there are no beeps, the mobo is bad. I fear it may be bad but it might've been my mistake from touching the back of the mobo to the case. Not sure

Mar 22, 2021
NEW INFO: If anyone cares. May be the RAM after all. According to the manual for the mobo:

Due to chipset limitation, this motherboard can only support up to
8 GB on the operating systems listed below. You may install a maximum of
2 GB DIMMs on each slot, but only DDR2-533 and DDR2-667 2 GB density
modules are available for this configuration.

I guess having the 800 2GB RAM sticks would make it so it wouldn't work? I guess it doesn't get downgraded. Time to buy new RAM.