Question Motherboard Powers Up but computer doesn't turn on ?

Aug 21, 2021
I ran into some issues last week when my computer needed several attempts to power up. Later it stopped turning on at all. I opened the casing to see that mobo had power and RGB lights were on as well as LAN lights, but still would not turn on. I tried touching a screw driver to the pw pins but still nothing. I took out the PSU and did the paperclip test and the PSU powered up randomly after every several attempts. I changed the power cord and it started working perfectly even fully connected to the mobo and devices. Well it started the same thing after 3 days, changed power cord again but no luck this time. I have it out of the system again and did the paperclip test again. This time it is worse. It powers on randomly after 15 to 20 attempts. Sometimes it powers up and powers down in a couple of seconds. Once it turns on and the paperclip is removed it would again need mulpitle attempts to come alive. Changed power cord and tried different sockets in the house with no different results. I bought this PSU less than a month ago. Sometimes cycling power with the on/off switch helps it seems. Any idea what could be wrong ? How to fix it ? The PSU is a Cooler Master 650W 80+ Gold. Mobo is ASUS TUF Z390 Gaming Plus.

Aug 21, 2021
Paperclip test only proves the PSU isn't completely dead. It doesn't tell you if the PSU is working okay under load, which is where it matters.

Could it be the reason that it is still powering on the RGB lights and motherboard light but not able to power up under load ? However, when it does start up, it functions okay and even under heavy loads while playing games and all, gives no problem at all.

Aug 21, 2021
Sounds like psu, would rma. If you could would it be good to test with a friends psu or maybe the old one if you still have it since this one is one month old.

The old one burned out completely about a month back. It just stopped working when under heavy load. It was a 600W cooler master which was about 10 years old and was serving in this system for about 3 years before giving up. I am not sure if something caused it to fail or if it was just at the end of it's life. I am doubtful if something caused the failure and is doing it again with this PSU or is it just bad luck with this PSU.

Aug 21, 2021
UPDATE: The PSU was sitting aside for a couple of days and I decided to test it again. It worked perfectly fine with the paperclip test. We tested it a few dozen times and every time powered up nicely. I put it back in and work great. However once the PC was shut down, it ran into the same problem cycle. Apparently, if I switch it off from the main power / power switch on the PSU, it seems to power up more successfully.

Aug 21, 2021
Still consider the psu main suspect. May be motherboard ....

Letting it rest might let it reset things, but seems as there is load the psu acts up again.
The PSU is definitely the culprit. If I unplug from the wall completely and let ot rest for a few hours, only then it behaves normally and everything works perfectly but once It has powered up the computer and I perform shut down, it won't power up again. To power up again, I need to take out the power cable from the wall and let it rest for a few hours.