[SOLVED] Motherboard & Processor for SOHO

invisible007

Reputable
Oct 17, 2019
HPE ProLiant ML10 Server had some issue with the motherboard, the funny part is HP replace the motherboard in the span of 3 years, after that they denied.

Don't want to invest a new tower (maybe Dell T30), for time being decided to upgrade

The server is connected to 12 computers, mainly used for excel, word, and few financial software.

The budget is not more than $220

What type of processor and motherboard would you recommend for the smooth working of my current configuration?

Old Tower configuration

Processor:
Intel Xeon E3-1220 v2 Quad-Core 64-bit processor - 3.10 GHz (Ivy Bridge, 8MB Level-3 cache, Direct Media Interface (DMI) speed 5.0 GT/s, 69 W thermal design power (TDP), FCLGA 1155-pin socket)

RAM:
4GB, 1600MHz, PC3-12800E-11, DDR3, dual-rank x8, 1.50V, unbuffered with ECC dual in-line memory module (UDIMM)

Storaige:
1TB non-hot-pluggable SATA hard disk drive - 7,200 RPM, 6Gb/s transfer rate, 3.5-inch large form factor (LFF)

Electronic Parts Cage :
Four hard drive enablement kit - Includes a 3-bay large form factor (LFF) hard drive cage (mounts in the lower front of the server) plus an additional slide-out tray for adding a (LFF) hard drive in the optical drive bay, SATA / power cables, and screws

Chassis/Hardware
Four hard drive enablement kit - Includes a 3-bay large form factor (LFF) hard drive cage (mounts in the lower front of the server) plus an additional slide-out tray for adding a (LFF) hard drive in the optical drive bay, SATA / power cables, and screws

Parts info or link

Solution
You may be able to use a used/refurb ml310e motherboard from ebay as it appears to have an identical layout and supports your e3 1220v2. Compare the boards to confirm if they are identical.

Unfortunately, you can't drop in a regular consumer board or any other server board as your hp has its own front panel connectors and can't be used with a standardized board.

$220 isn't enough to build a new system so from there, perhaps look into refurbished units like a dell t1650, t3610, or hp z220 if looking for a similar platform.
You may be able to use a used/refurb ml310e motherboard from ebay as it appears to have an identical layout and supports your e3 1220v2. Compare the boards to confirm if they are identical.

Unfortunately, you can't drop in a regular consumer board or any other server board as your hp has its own front panel connectors and can't be used with a standardized board.

$220 isn't enough to build a new system so from there, perhaps look into refurbished units like a dell t1650, t3610, or hp z220 if looking for a similar platform.

Reactions: invisible007
Solution

invisible007

Reputable
Oct 17, 2019

Zero-knowledge all this thing! please apology if my posting is a stupid one.

So you cannot recommend any intel i3 or i4 even dual-core processor and its compatible motherboard for my HPE ProLiant ML10 tower cabin?

No, I can't recommend it.

But, if you don't mind a less then ideal circumstance and hp has in fact made the case to m-atx standard and the standoffs are not in weird places, you could put in a m-atx board if you don't mind having picking a power switch and having it hang out the side of the case.

Finding a new lga 1155 board is nigh impossible outside of generic chinese models, and even more so since you have ecc ram thus requiring you to purchase non-ecc ddr3 ram as well. There's also no guarantee that your operating system will boot with a new motherboard, sometimes it can run without problem, but most times it will require a fresh install.

TBH, the cost for finding a replacement board and more ddr3 ram encroaches the cost of a complete refurbished tower, but once again, you will probably need to do a fresh install.

Reactions: invisible007