Motherboard & Processor upgrade - Do these work with my pc?

JustMe111

Commendable
May 1, 2016
Hello everyone,
I've had a "gaming-pc" for three years now. It doesn't do what it's supposed to do anymore. I mainly use my pc for casual gaming and multitasking (youtube and photo editing side to side for example). But sometimes it won't even play a youtube video on 720p smoothly.
I figured it's because my processor is out of date or simply worn out. So I started looking for a processor. Soon I noticed the motherboard will have to be changed too. So I searched for a motherboard too, trying to look out for compatibility.

Current specs:
MSI FM2-A55M-P33 (Motherboard)
AMD FM2 A4-5300 Dual Core 3,4GHz (CPU)
1000 GB SataIII (Hard Drive)
500W Cooler Master Powersupply
8GB DDR3 RAM
64-bit Operating System

Future motherboard & processor:
ASRock B150M Combo-G (Motherboard)
Intel Core i5-6500 (CPU)

For as far as I can tell, everything should work together with the new hardware, but being the noob I am, I'm not sure. The motherboard has the same form factor as my current one and the processor fits on the socket of the new motherboard. Can anyone tell me if I should worry about any of the other connections? Do the cords of the power supply, Hard drive, etc. always fit? And does my current memory work with the new specs?

And another question, since I'm changing from MSI to ASRock and from AMD to Intel, can I just do that, or does it bring problems with it? And is it smart to do or should I stick with MSI and AMD?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
1) You need the DDR4 RAM for the intel new PC.
2) Both MB are the same format Micro ATX.
3) You may need the new Os, it depends on what version windows you had.
4) You are better to do the clean reinstall the OS.

So if you can offer to buy the new intel PC, it is right thing to do.
1) You need the DDR4 RAM for the intel new PC.
2) Both MB are the same format Micro ATX.
3) You may need the new Os, it depends on what version windows you had.
4) You are better to do the clean reinstall the OS.

So if you can offer to buy the new intel PC, it is right thing to do.

Solution

JustMe111

Commendable
May 1, 2016

Thanks for the reply!
I found this ram online: Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK16GX4M2A2400C16R
Do you think it'll work with my pc?
I have Windows 10, so that shouldn't be a problem, right?
Before I reinstall the OS, do I need to delete any drivers or how do I do it?

Sorry, your MB can use the DDR3 or DDR3L RAM. The B150M MB can support up to DDR4 2133Mhz RAM, the 2400mhz RAM will run at 2133mhz. If the old RAM doesn't work well to the new intel MB, just buy the DDR4 2133MHZ.

Which version win10 do you have? Like the retail, upgrading from win7/8.1, or the OEM.

If you don't have important files on the HDD, just plug it in to do clean installation.

JustMe111

Commendable
May 1, 2016

Okay, I think I'll buy some DDR4 ram anyway, but the one i picked is actually too good for the mobo? So i should look for one with a lower frequency which is possibly cheaper?
I have windows 10, upgraded from windows 8.1. I have to put an installation file on a usb don't I?
If I just switch the motherboards, do I lose everything? Like, do I have to install all my games and programs again? Or do I only have to do that when something goes terribly wrong?

If the DDR4 2400mhz is cheaper than other 2133mhz, just get it and runs it at 2133mhz. Otherwise buy the cheaper 2133mhz one.

Because your win10 is upgraded from win8.1, you may or may not use win10 in other MB, it is tied to your old PC. More info read this article. http://www.howtogeek.com/226510/how-to-use-your-free-windows-10-license-after-changing-your-pc%E2%80%99s-hardware/

JustMe111

Commendable
May 1, 2016

Okay, I'll look up another ram.
And when win10 doesn't work I'll contact Microsoft support.
I'm only afraid I'll have to reinstall everything on my pc. Like, does Microsoft office stay installed, since I'm not sure if my license will work.
I mean, with a new motherboard your hard drive doesn't get completely wiped, right?

JustMe111

Commendable
May 1, 2016

Okay, thanks a lot for your help! I'll try to remember to post if it worked or not.

TRENDING THREADS