[SOLVED] Motherboard/PSU? problems

M1N3TT3

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Hi all, I'm hoping someone might be able to help me. I am trying to 'rebuild' an old computer (into a new box). I am a novice, but like to learn. Here's the long-winded situation....

It used to be my son's old pc and everything worked perfectly before he took everything out of the case to build himself a completely new system. All the components was stored properly in anti-stating bags out of the case. It was only the PSU that was not working.

So a few weeks ago I bought a new Aerocool Integrator 700W 80 Plus Bronze PSU and plugged it in. The motherboard only had the ram, processor and graphics card attached. (All these were in a case). As soon as I switched the PSU on, there was a loud 'pop' and a bit of smoke coming out of the psu grill.

I thought it was a problem with the PSU, so returned it and bought another. This time, I tested the PSU with a paperclip before attaching it to the motherboard. The PSU fan started spinning, so I thought it was ok.

But when I attached it to the motherboard, nothing happened. I took everything out of the case and tried it again, but still nothing.

So thinking that the PSU fried the motherboard, I bought another used, but exactly the same model motherboard. (in guaranteed working order). I connected the PSU to the motherboard, but still nothing.

Someone suggested that I breadboard the
motherboard, but there's still no life. There's no beep codes either.

I cannot spend any more money on this, so hoping there's someone out there that might be able to help.

Solution
Yeah, I assumed the first board might've died thanks to the PSU, but I returned the PSU for a new one and then ordered another used motherboard. So neither the motherboard or the PSU are the same? I'm baffled....
yep, id stray away from used motherboards but i doubt its a factor. did you try a different outlet then the one you're trying to get the rig working on perhaps? I mean if you changed motherboard and psu, id probably be somewhat suspicious of the cpu at that point, but im not super experienced so I'd probably wait for someone more experienced to suggest something useful. No clue what motherboard model you are referencing, but some do have LED lights that will turn on without cpu installed indicating power, have you...

AdamG

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
Hi all, I'm hoping someone might be able to help me. I am trying to 'rebuild' an old computer (into a new box). I am a novice, but like to learn. Here's the long-winded situation....

It used to be my son's old pc and everything worked perfectly before he took everything out of the case to build himself a completely new system. All the components was stored properly in anti-stating bags out of the case. It was only the PSU that was not working.

So a few weeks ago I bought a new Aerocool Integrator 700W 80 Plus Bronze PSU and plugged it in. The motherboard only had the ram, processor and graphics card attached. (All these were in a case). As soon as I switched the PSU on, there was a loud 'pop' and a bit of smoke coming out of the psu grill.

I thought it was a problem with the PSU, so returned it and bought another. This time, I tested the PSU with a paperclip before attaching it to the motherboard. The PSU fan started spinning, so I thought it was ok.

But when I attached it to the motherboard, nothing happened. I took everything out of the case and tried it again, but still nothing.

So thinking that the PSU fried the motherboard, I bought another used, but exactly the same model motherboard. (in guaranteed working order). I connected the PSU to the motherboard, but still nothing.

Someone suggested that I breadboard the
motherboard, but there's still no life. There's no beep codes either.

I cannot spend any more money on this, so hoping there's someone out there that might be able to help.

I just dealt with a dead motherboard a week ago, I suspected it was a psu issue aswell, and changed psus but still no activity on the board when attempting to turn it on. I tried jumping the power switch pins to make sure it was not a faulty power switch on the case. The psu worked fine with paperclip method. I contacted ASRock who said to use speaker and check for beep codes, but nothing would happen at all. Most likely if you are not getting any power to the board at all, and it does not even give beep codes when attempting to power, its probably dead.

The manufacturer for my model motherboard gave the general troubleshooting tips you find in most threads here.

• remove motherboard from case and put on flat clean surface using the protection that came with your mainboard (assuming they are referencing the anti-static bag, but most probably use the box.)
  • disconnect all cables and remove ram/video card
  • remove cmos battery for 3 minutes, and clear cmos with jumper
  • connect power cables (cpu 4/8 pin, 24 pin atx)
  • connect diagnostic beep code speaker provided with case
  • diagnose problem based on beep codes
I had completed all these and still had no power or beeps on the board, replaced with new b450 and it worked fine. Unfortunately she was dead, no activity at all when connecting working power supplies to it. You could remove the motherboard and look for any visual damage on capacitors/chips or burn marks on the board, but I would assume shes dead if you are getting nothing from it at all.

I'm not entirely sure what others would recommend as to using the same PSU though, personally I would toss it and just roll with a new one, or one that has not had popping sound and smoke coming out of it, lol. This has happened in rigs that still worked fine after though, and is something I've never personally experienced, but I've only built 4 computers since 2012 for myself.

M1N3TT3

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, I assumed the first board might've died thanks to the PSU, but I returned the PSU for a new one and then ordered another used motherboard. So neither the motherboard or the PSU are the same? I'm baffled....

AdamG

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2013
yep, id stray away from used motherboards but i doubt its a factor. did you try a different outlet then the one you're trying to get the rig working on perhaps? I mean if you changed motherboard and psu, id probably be somewhat suspicious of the cpu at that point, but im not super experienced so I'd probably wait for someone more experienced to suggest something useful. No clue what motherboard model you are referencing, but some do have LED lights that will turn on without cpu installed indicating power, have you looked at the cpu for any visible damage by any chance, like bent pins etc?

I also doubt it has anything to do with the outlet you're using either as they all probably are properly grounded and giving enough power, but figured i'd throw that out there just incase. for more experienced people helping you, you can leave specs for them like model of motherboard, which cpu etc.

Solution