Motherboard PSU Question

aleks.todorov11

Prominent
Dec 30, 2018
Hellow
I have a pc with no GPU and im looking forward to buing one and with that i have to buy a new PSU, i looked in my motherboard there is a pci-e slot, everything ok. Then i look to the conector from my PSU to the motherboard i found that there is one conector and a nother on right next to it about 1 2 mm apart wich is a 4 pin conectore. I want to buy a good PSU and I dont have any idea what this extra cable does and if it will be on a modern PSU. I was looking for a 650W cooler master one or something like that bit i dont know if it will have this 4 pin conector.

aleks.todorov11

Prominent
Dec 30, 2018
I have a i5 660 3,33 GHz 8 gb ddr3 ram im planing on buying a 1060 6gb( i know it will bottleneck a little bit) Im asking about the adicional 4 pin conector on my motherboard,what it does and if i can buy a New PSU that will suport it and a Gpu

jarodatkinson

Reputable
Oct 10, 2017
The addition 4 pin connector is for cpu power.... Some motherboards have 8 power connectors for cpu power.... Most graphics cards from that era didn't need dedicated power, as they were able to draw all they needed from the pcie slot.

Yes, you can buy a new psu and it will come with the connectors you need for your motherboard and the graphics card.

Your new power supply will be worth more than your computer however.

You will also run into issues playing any aaa title on that cpu, regardless of the graphics card.

aleks.todorov11

Prominent
Dec 30, 2018