DatGameh

Honorable
May 20, 2014
(Note: I am going to post this in both PSU and Motherboard, because at this point I am uncertain which is the cause of this problem)

I recenty built a PC with the specs:
Mobo: ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ac
PSU: Cooler Master V650 SFX
CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x
RAM: 16x2GB Team VulcanZ DDR4
Storage: HP EX950 2TB m.2
GPU: Asus GTX 970 Turbo
Case: Silverstone SG13

The build went with no hitches, and the computer ran very well, even under load. But it experiences problems when shutting down.
Two problems, really.

Here's a video of it:
That should explain the gist of the problem. But here's the rest in detail.

Problem 1: When the motherboard is out of the case (solved?):

During shut down, the moment the PC is supposed to power off, the PSU makes several clicking sounds and the fans go on a cycle of ramping up and stopping. This goes on an endless cycle until I turn off the PSU - The PC never shuts down.
From what I've read in another thread, this problem is possibly caused by the motherboard not being grounded properly. Once I did put the motherboard in the case (grounding the motherboard), the PSU no longer clicks! But now, another problem appears.

Problem 2: When the motherboard is in the case (unsolved.):

During shut down, the moment the PC is supposed to power off, the PSU makes a constant and slight hissing noise (coil whine?) and the PC refuses to shut down. The fans simply keep running at a constant speed.
If I try to force shut down (i.e. hold pwr button), the fans will instead go to max speed, but still the PSU hisses and PC refuses to shut down.

But strangest thing is: when the motherboard reaches the point where it's supposed to shut down, if I press the power button, it will turn back on again as if it really was off this entire time! So while the fans are running and the PC doesn't shut down, something in the PC believes that it is powered off.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So far, this is all the information I can muster up at the moment.
I cannot pinpoint whether it is a PSU or Mobo problem.
It could be caused by the motherboard not recognizing when to turn the PC "off",
or it could be caused by the PSU always supplying power to the motherboard (the hissing is caused by a faulty capacitor and clicking caused by voltage regulator?).

Either way, I'm stuck. Anyone have knowledge on this issue?

Last edited:
Solution
I just made an exchange of my motherboard today, and it turns out that the issue really did lie in the motherboard. Purely a defect it seems.
The new motherboard I received had no issues whatsoever.
So nevermind this post! If you're having a similar problem, I don't think this will be of any help to you.

DatGameh

Honorable
May 20, 2014
Alright, so for some reason, the post that was supposed to be in the motherboard was put here instead. I suppose that was done to prevent spam, so I suppose that's a problem on my part.

But still, I haven't found a solution yet. I'm open to ideas.

May 20, 2020
probably a faulty mobo or psu sometimes its just cause power is set to sleep or hibernate but this. I would also recommend trying in a different pc and a different os if possible. It would also be nice if I could see full pc specs or a screenshot/video of what happens when you turn it off

DatGameh

Honorable
May 20, 2014
probably a faulty mobo or psu sometimes its just cause power is set to sleep or hibernate but this. I would also recommend trying in a different pc and a different os if possible. It would also be nice if I could see full pc specs or a screenshot/video of what happens when you turn it off

Alright, I'll add the specs to the original post and also link a video as well.

DatGameh

Honorable
May 20, 2014
I just made an exchange of my motherboard today, and it turns out that the issue really did lie in the motherboard. Purely a defect it seems.
The new motherboard I received had no issues whatsoever.
So nevermind this post! If you're having a similar problem, I don't think this will be of any help to you.

Solution

DatGameh

Honorable
May 20, 2014
Pretty daring of you to buy a PSU that's never been reviewed, manufactured by a factory that nobody knows much about and has never made SFX PSUs in the past.

Anyhoo....

Are you ONLY using cables that came with the PSU and no others?
It's not without reason!
With all these bot scalpers roaming around, I thought it'd be a good idea to get a hold of one as soon as I am able to. They love scalping niche products, and SFX power supplies are definitely an attractive item to scalp.

And... well, the warranty is pretty damn long for its price, so I thought it wouldn't be too big of a risk to get one of those.

But in any case, it did turn out to be a motherboard problem. Thankfully, an exchange was all that was needed to fix this issue.