Motherboard purchasing advice for i7 8700k

Evan99w

Prominent
Jun 6, 2017
I’m currently in the process of upgrading my pc which is mainly used for gaming and I’ve decided to get an i7 8700k

I would like some advice on what motherboard to get.
It needs:
-A display port input
-A valid chipset for the processor
-To be suitable for medium to high end gaming
-To be around or under preferably £120

Any help would be highly appreciated
Thanks

Solution
If your going to have a dedicated gaming GPU then there's no need to have a displayport on the motherboard. For your budget I'd go with the Gigabyte Aorus Gaming K3.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z370 AORUS Gaming K3 (rev. 1.0) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£115.19 @ Aria PC)
Total: £115.19
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-12 21:21 BST+0100

Review: https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8509/gigabyte-z370-aorus-gaming-k3-intel-motherboard/index.html
do you mean a display port "output"? Because no motherboard features a video "in" capability, you'd have to get a display capture card for that kind of functionality.

Anyways since this is a K series CPU that means you want a Z series motherboard and only the Z370 works with Coffee Lake.

WildCard999

Titan
If your going to have a dedicated gaming GPU then there's no need to have a displayport on the motherboard. For your budget I'd go with the Gigabyte Aorus Gaming K3.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z370 AORUS Gaming K3 (rev. 1.0) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£115.19 @ Aria PC)
Total: £115.19
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-12 21:21 BST+0100

Review: https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8509/gigabyte-z370-aorus-gaming-k3-intel-motherboard/index.html

Solution
no mobo that I know of has a display port input, you need a capture card for that.

If you meant output, hopefully you are not using your 8700k igpu to game, the dp should be coming off you discrete graphic card.

Are you overclocking?

If you don’t, asrock z370 pro4. Is a good choice. About 90

If you do overclocking, you want to go up a tier asrock z370 killer sli, about 110.

However a really solid board, is the asrock z370 extreme 4. For 140.

If you're not intending on overclocking, you could always go with the i7-8700, which has nearly identical boost clocks as the 8700K, and should perform almost the same. And of course, if overclocking is not on the table and you intend to go with standard-speed RAM, a lower-priced B360 motherboard might also be worth considering. What other hardware is this system going to have?