Motherboard QVL & RAM QVL

TheDragonBorn

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
Hi everyone. So I was looking on my motherboards QVL and noticed the RAM I wanted to get which is G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL isn't on the QVL. I went to G. Skills website and saw for that particular RAM that my motherboard was listed. Since it's listed on G. Skills QVL and not my motherboards will this RAM work fine with it? My motherboard is an ASUS P8Z77-V LK

Thanks.

Solution
QVLs simply tell you that a specific vendor tested a specific configuration and guaranteed that it worked.

The QVLs are by no means an exhaustive list of possible combinations - in principle, all fully-compliant DDR3 DIMMs should work with all fully DDR3-compliant motherboards and QVLs should be unnecessary so there will be several times more usable configurations than those found in QVLs.

On my motherboard, I'm using 4x8GB 1600MT/s DIMMs and at the time of initial purchase, the DIMMs I bought weren't on the QVL and the QVL had only a handful 4x8GB configuration on it but only at 1333MT/s.

InvalidError

Titan
QVLs simply tell you that a specific vendor tested a specific configuration and guaranteed that it worked.

The QVLs are by no means an exhaustive list of possible combinations - in principle, all fully-compliant DDR3 DIMMs should work with all fully DDR3-compliant motherboards and QVLs should be unnecessary so there will be several times more usable configurations than those found in QVLs.

On my motherboard, I'm using 4x8GB 1600MT/s DIMMs and at the time of initial purchase, the DIMMs I bought weren't on the QVL and the QVL had only a handful 4x8GB configuration on it but only at 1333MT/s.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS