Motherboard, ram and videocard

kreidar

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
Hi all!

I'm new here but have been reading a few threads and I'm impressed about the knowledge some of u guys and girls have. Now maybe I can get some help too. I have a casing, an antech I think, with 8 inch fan at the top and a few more fans for hd's. I also have a 6-700 watt psu of good brand. Why I cant tell exactly is that it is in the philippines and I stay in Norway right now.
While I'm here I want to buy a new cpu, preferably AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition. Then my problem is what motherboard do I choose? I am also thinking about 8 gigs of ram, but again what brand? I am also going to buy a videocard, and I think ATI, but which one or two?

I am not very much into gaming, only sometimes. I do some photoshop and some autocad. Sometimes I also look some hd movies on a 24 inch monitor.

Any good ideas from anyone?

popatim

Titan
Is this a joke?

You dont game much and some photoshop/autocard but you want to build a high end system for what?

hd movies ?

Get a quad core, 4gb ram, and put that $300 savings into a nice 42inch TV , connect your new pc to it with the hdmi and watch HD movies on a nice big screen.

kreidar

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
Why is that a joke? AutoCad sometimes need good computers for rendering. Anyway, I said I play games sometimes also.

ZoSos

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
I have recently had good luck with Gigabyte boards. I am sold on solid capacitors. Asus has good rep as well.

Autocad is not a heavy resource puller by itself.. It all depends on your level of expertise and work pattern with the application(s).. How much is your budget and which games do you play or wish to play on your new rig..??

kreidar

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
I really don't know what games I will play, mosty new trials for showing.
My budget is 1500+ dollars, but I want the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition. probably also G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3-1600. So what motherboard, and what videocard(s)?
Anyway, maybe I will be gaming a lot more when I have that machine fit together. I have the casing, hd's. dvd's, monitor, etc....

kreidar

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010

Not a joke. I already have flat screen tv. Next tv will be with on with android os and internet...:D
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2010/04/worlds-first-android-tv-comes-from-sweden/

It looks like you are pretty much locked on to the 1090T.. Its a good processor none the less.. G- Skill is a good brand to go for when it comes to memory.. A 4GB (2 x 2 GB) config should do well for the time being.. Since You've quite a good budget, I'll recommend the Asus Crosshair IV Formula for the motherboard.. Its top of the line (both with price, features, performance and overclockability) and looks good also.. For the GPU, I'll recommend getting a single HD 5850 or HD 5870 for now.. You can add another anytime later when you feel the need for more gaming horsepower..

P.S. - If you can get over your stubbornness for the 1090T, you can actually build up an X58 rig with that budget.. Even if you overlook the extra RAM count feature, the X58 platform offers you the flexibility to go for either SLI or Crossfire.. You can actually build a rig with an i7 930 (i7 950 if the price cuts are introduced at the time of your purchase), 6 GB of RAM and a couple of GTX 460's in SLI.. If you like the idea then I'll suggest MSI BigBang XPower for the motherboard.. For RAM, I'll suggest Kingston Hyper-X 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 MHz as my first choice..

kreidar

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010

Hehe, my stubbornness yes, I agree on that. It's just that I have a dual core Intel and I don't like it. Had many athlons before and had less problems with them. But maybe you're right and I should go for i7 930 or 950. I'm leaving here sept.2. so I have some time. I was thinking about that pricecut too, so I can wait another month or so. There is a little bit back and forth in my mind about just that. I was thinking about the 8gb g-skill. I will be running windows 7 64 bit since I have both 32 and 64 bit ultimate. I have also been looking at HD 5850 and 5870, that looks fine. First I was looking at a gigabyte mb, but lately also the asus u recomend.
Thanks anyway, now my head is back to choosing cpu. Well, we'll see what happen with the Intel prices in the near future.

ares1214

Splendid
for what i see the usage being, id say you dont need anything more than an i5 750 and a 1 gig gtx 460. if you want to go a bit more into gaming, a x4 955 and a 5870/5850. If you really think you need a 6 core, which you likely dont, id get the 1055T, just oc it a bit and ur back to where u started, and ur pocket is 100$ heavier. i7 is fun an all, but for what you are using it for, its either not necessary, or the 1090T would be better. As far as gigabyte and Asus, both are good, i have had some problems with gigabyte, but IMO, the top 3 board companies overall are Asus, Gigabyte, and MSI in that order. MSI makes some really great boards for pretty much all sockets, and it wouldnt surprise me if you could get a cheaper MSI board with the same quality and features as both the Asus or gigabyte. but first you need to choose a cpu. my vote is for a i5 750, or x6 1055T.

The X58 platform is suggested purely because of the budget and the flexibility it offers especially on the graphics front.. Now since OP can wait for a month with the speculated Intel price cuts scheduled around that time, the X58 deal looks more stronger..

kreidar

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
But the i7 950 is going down to almost half price in august.
Even though I don't like the intel company, maybe I should buy that one?

ares1214

Splendid
i7 950 and i7 930 are the exact same, 950 gets an small clock bump. they both max out at the exact same oc point, maybe like 4 GHz air. thats why i dislike intels system. amd does price cuts a lot, intel clocks it higher and makes it the same price. sure thats nice and all, but i like the amd system better, so would most overclockers.

kreidar

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
I do also like AMD more than Intel, also because intel sometimes pay to close out amd from some countries, at least they did before. So really I like to support amd. Now I am a little bit confused and have to think it over for a while.
I like AMD Phenom II X4 965 125W Black Edition also, but think that with AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition I get 2 extra cores. Maybe it's not worth it, but it's for a little bragging also, a little show off...:D

ares1214

Splendid
with amd, the high end for me is the 955 and 1055t. the 955 is a bit less, exact same cpu. 1055T doesnt have the unlocked multiplier, but at 3.2 GHz, it performs exactly the same as the 1090T.

ares1214

Splendid
the are EXACTLY the same cpu, at the same clock, they perform EXACTLY the same, and they both oc to the same max point. if you take a 1055t and oc it to 3.2 GHz, it will be EXACTLY the same as the 1090T, as they are the same cpu, just overclocking/downclocked, and the 1090T doesnt have a locked multiplier.

kreidar

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
Hehe ok, then I don't see any reason to buy the more expensive one. Then u saved me at least a hundred dollars. I think I'll go for that then, if nothing more interesting comes up from AMD until end of august. Next year it will be the bulldozer maybe..:)

Thank you!

That's why my friend got his 1055t. Although, he did need a new CPU anyway.

stay in Norway right now.
So where will you be buying from?

Anyway, if you can find a good Asus or Gigabyte board with an AMD chipset, then that will serve you will. I'd recommend a crossfire board with support for 3 cards at 8x mode for each when in tri-mode.
I also found a mATX board that supports 2 PCI-e slots for 8x crossfire, if you don't have room for a full ATX board.

I recommend you get one 5870 and see how you feel about it. If you want more performance, get a second, then get a third if you need any more. a fourth one will provide very little performance benefit, the way crossfire scales.

My suggestions are only because of your budget though. Even if you get the 1055t, you don't need to spend more than $500-600 to get more than enough for your needs.

popatim

Titan
and overclocked phenom2 x4 940 black edition, 8gb ram, and a gtx460 (1gb edition) will cover all the based nicely imo.

The 1055T x6 is only $75 more but how often will you use 6 cores (photoshop and cad only?) that you cant wait the extra second for the 940 to finish?