Motherboard/RAM Issue - Time sensitive

cschulte88

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016
Hello! I am looking for help on a time sensitive issue as I am running out of time to return my motherboard for a replacement! If you could read my post and let me know what you think might be the issue or things that I could do to diagnose the issue I would greatly appreciate it!

Computer Parts:
Intel i7-8700
MSI z370m Pro Gaming AC Motherboard
Samsung EVO 970 M.2 1TB Storage
Trident Z RGB 2x8GB RAM (Installed in 2A and 2B)
Windows 10

- I recently started to build a new computer (this is my 4th build) but I am running into issues
- The build went mostly smooth until after I started to really put the computer through its paces
- Looking back I think I was getting in a rush installing BIOS Firmware/drivers galore/software/games ect before I really tested the stability of the system. I am not overclocking yet.
- Noticed system would restart randomly and not shutdown all the way but I chalked this up to not having all the drivers yet
- Blue Screen of death about 3 times with "Memory Management" Code
- Ran a Memory Diagnostic Tool and it said "Hardware Problems" early in the test
- Tried to swap and re-seat RAM sticks but this another blue screen that said "Recovery - PC Need Repaired - Code 0xc000009a"
- I then jumped the CMOS pins with a screw driver for 10 seconds but then the PC could not find a bootable drive
- I then removed the CMOS Battery for 5 minutes to be sure the CMOS reset and I also removed my video card to remove that from the equation
- I had to reformat SSD due to not being able to boot and I had to changed the partition type to GPT to install windows (never had to do this before) (not quite sure what this means but google all the way!)
- During first try of install of windows I got a blue screen saying "Kernel Security Check Failure"
- I restarted and tried to install windows again and this time it took and was able to get it up and running
- I have not been able to test the system again besides installing a few apps and updated the BIOS firmware again
- Also ran the windows memory diagnostic tool again after new install with no hardware problems
- I am worried I have a bad motherboard or bad RAM. My plan is to update Motherboard drivers and then start a stress test using either Intel Extreme Tuning Utility, Prime 95 and/or MemTest86+
- I have a week to return the motherboard so I need to figure this out soon since I am sure the issue is not fixed.

- Any help from you all would really really benefit me as I am not a expert
- What do you think I did wrong?
- What should I try?
- How should I test for bad ram/motherboard?
- What do you think is the issue?

THANK YOU FOR READING MY POST!

Solution
Is it stable now? If it is, it could be something as simple as the first Windows install being corrupt. If not, run memtest first to see if you have any memory errors. If you are still having problems and memtest isn't showing anything, try one stick of RAM at a time in all slots, and if both sticks work good this way, install them into the alternative slots. I see your mobo manual says to use slot A2 first. " To boot up the system successfully, always insert the memory module into DIMMA2 first." Do your current memory setting in the UEFI match your RAM's specs? Some other things to check for: reseat CPU and look for bent pins, check for mobo grounding, check your PSU voltages to make sure they are in spec. These are the worst types of...

Welcome to Tom's!

Is your ram listed in the QVL for your motherboard? If not is your motherboard listed as supported by that ram on the manufacturer's website?

Is it stable now? If it is, it could be something as simple as the first Windows install being corrupt. If not, run memtest first to see if you have any memory errors. If you are still having problems and memtest isn't showing anything, try one stick of RAM at a time in all slots, and if both sticks work good this way, install them into the alternative slots. I see your mobo manual says to use slot A2 first. " To boot up the system successfully, always insert the memory module into DIMMA2 first." Do your current memory setting in the UEFI match your RAM's specs? Some other things to check for: reseat CPU and look for bent pins, check for mobo grounding, check your PSU voltages to make sure they are in spec. These are the worst types of problems trying to troubleshoot because it can be caused by a number of things. If you can test your CPU, PSU, and memory in another machine, do so. Quite often, the only way to determine whether the mobo is at fault is to eliminate everything else.

Solution

cschulte88

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016
Thank you guys for your responses!
- I will get the RAM/PSU model numbers here shortly.
- No, I am not currently running in XMP. Not sure about before I reset the CMOS. I know I might have enabled it for a short time before.
- As far as the motherboard grounding, it may be an issue, the standoffs are black and the screws are too. Also, only 4 of the "wide-grounding-type" of screws came with it, I had to use some other type of screw that was also in the box for the rest of the standoffs. I ordered new brass standoffs and new screws to replace them.
- I will try to move the RAM to different slots and try one at a time. I did that before and it seemed to cause more issues. Currently and previously I have installed my two sticks of RAM in slots 2 and 4 if you count the slot nearest the CPU as 1. I believe this is right. I have not tried slots 1 and 3 yet as I didn't know if it would work since the manual says to use DIMMA2.
- I will check CPU Pins and PSU Voltages if the above does not work?
- When you say check the RAM settings in the UEFI/BIOS do you mean frequency?

cschulte88

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016
Okay, so here is an update...

- I tried to boot both RAM sticks independently in the DIMMA2 slot (2nd from the CPU) and both booted just fine

- I checked the frequency setting in the BIOS and it was set to 2100Hz. I bumped this up to 3000 due to that is what the RAM sticks operate at. I dont know the ramifications of this. Do I need to increase voltage or something?

- RAM INFO - Trident Z RPG - Model [F4-3000C16D-16GTZR]

- PSU INFO - EVGA 850 Watt - Model [850 G3] - P/N [220-G3-0850-X1]

cschulte88

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016

- No, XMP is currently off. Possibly active for a bit before. I think I turned it on for a little bit during troubleshooting.

- PSU INFO - EVGA 850 Watt - Model [850 G3] - P/N [220-G3-0850-X1]

cschulte88

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016

- I don't think it is listed on the QVL...

cschulte88

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016

- I tried to boot both RAM sticks independently in the DIMMA2 slot (2nd from the CPU) and both booted just fine

- I checked the frequency setting in the BIOS and it was set to 2100Hz. I bumped this up to 3000 due to that is what the RAM sticks operate at. I dont know the ramifications of this. Do I need to increase voltage or something? Is there another setting I need to check for RAM in the BIOS?

- As far as the motherboard grounding, it may be an issue, the standoffs are black and the screws are too. Also, only 4 of the "wide-grounding-type" of screws came with it, I had to use some other type of screw that was also in the box for the rest of the standoffs. I ordered new brass standoffs and new screws to replace them.

cschulte88

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016
I went on the G.Skill website and my motherboard is listed on the QVL for this RAM.

I did a MemTest86 twice with both RAM sticks in slots 2 and 4 at 3000Hz (BIOS setting) and a prompt came up saying "Test has aborted due to too many errors" I ran it twice with the same error.

Does this mean the RAM is bad even though both are booting up independently in slot 2 and together in slots 2 and 4.

cschulte88

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016

So I just ran Memtest86 on each stick of RAM individually and guess what...one of them ran without any issue and the other was all kinds of messed up. I have new ram coming and returning these. I am also running my system on only the 1 good 8GB of RAM and going to stress test it. Maybe using Prime95?

cschulte88

Commendable
Apr 20, 2016

Yes, I turned on XMP and checked all the RAM settings and they seem good.

I did a little stress testing using Prime95 for about 30 minutes and ran Heaven at extreme for about 10 minutes. The temps stayed around 55 for CPU and 75 for GPU. I then played some games for an hour or so on Ultra settings and the temps stayed around the same. There were no crashes or blue screens of death so I believe it was solely the RAM stick that was bad. I plan to still check everything though just to be safe. This was a huge pain in the butt, but I learned ALOT with your guy's help. THANK YOU for you ideas! I will update this once I did all my other testing. I am writing down a process on how to start up a system and the Memtest86 test right after updating the firmware is definitely going to be part of it!

THANKS!