Motherboard ram list is from 2009, need help

How much GB do you have now? You need buy the triple channel RAM, if you have 6GB (3x2GB) now then you are better to buy other 3x2GB kit to match the old set. You don't need to look at the QVL for the RAM, becasue the ram is not on the list means the company don't test it, but as long as the RAM fit the tech spec then it will work.

When I buy the RAM I look at the tech spec, brand, the price, and the reviews if you can find, I don't check the QVL list at all.

jeremiahbucher

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
I have 6GB (3X2GB), Corsair 1333 DDR3 (cm3x2g1333c9d6) ram now. The QVL says

• A*: Supports two (2) modules inserted into slot A1 and B1 as one pair of Dual-channel memory configuration
• B*: Supports three (3) modules inserted into the orange slots (A1, B1 and C1) as one set of Triple-channel memory configuration
• C*: Supports four (4) modules inserted into the orange slots (A1, B1 and C1) and the black slot A2 as one set of Triple-channel memory configuration
• D*: Supports six (6) modules inserted into both the orange slots and the black slots as two set of Triple-channel memory configuration.

Doesn't that mean that not all ram will work in the 6 slots? Also wouldn't getting a different ram be a bad thing? I know that particular ram is old and extinct in the marketplace.

jeremiahbucher

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148658&Tpk=BLT4K4G3D1608ET3LX0

This ram was listed as recommended on the crucial site you linked. It is definitely in my price range, but is it good ram for gaming? I noticed it is 1.35V and what I have now is 1.50V

Is that bad? I just want to slap it in and have it work. I only have a 750w power supply so less power sounds good, but what do I know.

jeremiahbucher

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013

It is my understanding, which is limited, that even though its 4 sticks it still acts as 1 set of triple channel. I have an I7 920 CPU which isn't new, but isn't that old either. I am basing the 1 set of triple channel on this phrase from the QVL: • C*: Supports four (4) modules inserted into the orange slots (A1, B1 and C1) and the black slot A2 as one set of Triple-channel memory configuration

For the price it seems like a good choice. The timing is better than most of what I have looked at. Not that I really know what that means, but I read lower is better and these are lower than others for nearly the same price. 20-30 bucks one way or another won't sway me, I'm looking for quality that will last a few years. I've gotten about 4 years out of my old ram and honestly it still works well.