Question Motherboard ram slot dead?

Jan 11, 2021
Hi!
Need help, was using my computer and suddenly my screen goes black (I can still hear music coming from my headphones). I shut down my pc and try to run it again and it does not post (motherboard rgb lights are on and all fans are spinning, but nothing happens on my monitor, VGA error light was on on my motherboard).

After that I shut down my computer and take out the power cable from the wall and switch the ram slots with eachother ( ram from slot 2 to slot 4 and 4 to 2). That results in the VGA error light to disappear and the DRAM error light to appear, I even try with using only 1 stick of ram on slot 2, but the DRAM error light still shines. I used those RAM slots that the manual recommended to use.

Next I tried resetting the CMOS. It didn't help, however, then i tried putting my RAM in slot 1 and 3 and my pc finally ended up booting ( Turn the pc on --> DRAM error light --> CPU error light -->Boot error light --> sound of it trying to boot up. On the third time doing this it booted to a screen that told me to press F1 and go into BIOS)

Does this then mean that one of my ram slots (number 2) is faulty?

My build
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
CPU Cooler: Nzxt Kraken x52
Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix B550-f Gaming (Wifi)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 Mhz
Storage: Crucial MX500
Power Supply: Corsair RM550x
Operating System: Windows 10 Home

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Could be one or more slots, could be one or more faulty sticks too.

You can try testing a single stick at a time in all 4 slots to test the sticks and slots.

As for your system just going black out of nowhere like that, I don't think that's good.

You have a B550 which isn't that old either and I assume the RAM is about as old as the mobo unless the RAM was from a previous system and this mobo and cpu are upgrades

Jan 11, 2021
Could be one or more slots, could be one or more faulty sticks too.

You can try testing a single stick at a time in all 4 slots to test the sticks and slots.

As for your system just going black out of nowhere like that, I don't think that's good.

You have a B550 which isn't that old either and I assume the RAM is about as old as the mobo unless the RAM was from a previous system and this mobo and cpu are upgrades
I tried out different ram in different slots and it seems like my ram sticks are ok! However ram slots 2 and 4 doesn't work, the computer doesn't post (the DRAM error light turns on).

The motherboard and cpu is only 6 months old and the ram is 4 months old!

Idk if the best course of action is to try and get a new board from the seller!? I hope this falls under warranty, the only thing I have done is update the BIOS because the first version was not working that great, but the new one has been working fine until this... (updated it around a month ago)

Should I avoid using my pc or is it safe to use it or might it cause more damage?