Question Motherboard ram speed

xtreme9

Prominent
May 11, 2019
Just a question as my motherboard supports ram speeds up to 3433 would my best option be to have 3600 with a higher cl or 3200 with a lower cl. Also running Ryzen 3000 so want to get the most out of my cpu.

Cheers

Just a question as my motherboard supports ram speeds up to 3433 would my best option be to have 3600 with a higher cl or 3200 with a lower cl. Also running Ryzen 3000 so want to get the most out of my cpu.

Cheers
To answer your question about memory: which is better would be 3600 with a lower CL for best possible latency.

Not to be obtuse, but 'CL' refers to timing windows that last a certain number of memory clock cycles, not time. So if memory needs a certain amount of time it will naturally need more cycles if the frequency is higher, therefore a higher CL, with no accompanying degradation in latency.

What memory are you looking at. To me, even if latency (the thing affected by the 'CL' timing) is bit lower I'd still like faster memory so long as I can keep IF in sync since Ryzen processors benefit from faster IF clock speeds. But only if the timing isn't TOO excessively high so as not to degrade latency to the point it's appreciable.

Last edited:

xtreme9

Prominent
May 11, 2019
If you didn't already buy MB, you'd be better off with Max version of same MB. Not only it's 3rd gen Ryzen compatible out of the BOX but also has better BIOS with faster memory compatibility so 3600MHz RAM can work full speed which is some optimum for that system.
That's the one I bought but on the website I was looking at the wrong like of text and only saw yesterday that it supports higher then what I thought.
To answer your question about memory: which is better would be 3600 with a lower CL for best possible latency.

Not to be obtuse, but 'CL' refers to timing windows that last a certain number of memory clock cycles, not time. So if memory needs a certain amount of time it will naturally need more cycles if the frequency is higher, therefore a higher CL, with no accompanying degradation in latency.

What memory are you looking at. To me, even if latency (the thing affected by the 'CL' timing) is bit lower I'd still like faster memory so long as I can keep IF in sync since Ryzen processors benefit from faster IF clock speeds. But only if the timing isn't TOO excessively high so as not to degrade latency to the point it's appreciable.
That's something I'm still confused about...the timings. Isnt that something that you can oc yourself and get the timings tighter? I was looking into getting the g.skill neo 3600 speed 16gb with 16-19-19-39 timings

That's the one I bought but on the website I was looking at the wrong like of text and only saw yesterday that it supports higher then what I thought.

That's something I'm still confused about...the timings. Isnt that something that you can oc yourself and get the timings tighter? I was looking into getting the g.skill neo 3600 speed 16gb with 16-19-19-39 timings
Primary and secondary timings don't have same influence on all programs/games, same goes for actual frequency. In any case, unless it's tethering at the edge of memory being too slow and producing problems, all of that has very little influence in total system performance, few percent only.

That's something I'm still confused about...the timings. Isnt that something that you can oc yourself and get the timings tighter?...

Yes you can, and as with anything you can over-tweak the timings and create instability. Latency isn't as easy to measure either. In general, it's better to compromise timing settings to allow higher clock speed with stability since it's even harder to appreciate in actual system performance. But if you run apps that are latency sensitive you might be better off optimizing for timings and create margin with lower clock speed for stability.