Question Motherboard randomly freezing, and pc goes unresponsive.

May 17, 2022
So I built my first PC a few weeks ago and everything has been running pretty smoothly except for one issue. Every once in a while the motherboard's LEDs will freeze, and shortly after the PC screen will go unresponsive. The PC does not shut down or blue screen, but freezes up and becomes entirely unusable forcing a turn-off and on. It’s also somewhat gradual, all of the programs will stop working but you can still move your mouse, and then a few seconds later, mouse movement will stop as well.

From what I can tell, this isn't a heating issue. I've been checking my thermals while playing games and they've all been in safe and standard temperatures. Also, the PC has not only crashed while in games and graphically intensive tasks, but also when doing very basic tasks like watching youtube. It is worth noting that I'm using a fan CPU cooler rather than water cooling.

My power supply should be enough to power my PC, and I have no reason to believe this is an issue there. I made sure to buy a power supply that has a better wattage than necessary for my GPU. Remember that the PC does not shut down, it just goes unresponsive forcing me to turn it off and on again.

I’ve checked and made sure my BIOS and drivers are all updated. I’m really just confused and don’t know what to do next. Any suggestions or help?

Full specs please. And not to be anal, but please include EXACT power supply model, and also exact model numbers for everything else including motherboard, CPU, graphics card, memory kit (And please DO make note of whether this is a single kit, or multiple kits/DIMMS because it really makes a difference) and any other relevant hardware like RGB and third party peripherals.

It will help a LOT to know these details. In fact, it's impossible to help you without them. I probably won't be able to get back here and help you before the morning, but no matter WHO helps you, they WILL need that information, so it is to your benefit to make sure we have it. Thanks.

Reactions: drivinfast247
May 17, 2022
Full specs please. And not to be anal, but please include EXACT power supply model, and also exact model numbers for everything else including motherboard, CPU, graphics card, memory kit (And please DO make note of whether this is a single kit, or multiple kits/DIMMS because it really makes a difference) and any other relevant hardware like RGB and third party peripherals.

It will help a LOT to know these details. In fact, it's impossible to help you without them. I probably won't be able to get back here and help you before the morning, but no matter WHO helps you, they WILL need that information, so it is to your benefit to make sure we have it. Thanks.

Here are the full specs and models, sorry about that!

CPU: AMD AMD RYZEN 7 5700X
GPU: Gigabyte Geforce RTX 3060 Gaming rev 2 (GV-N3060GAMING OC-12GD)
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING WIFI
Memory running duel channel: G-Skill Trident Z RGB Series 32GB (F4-3200C16D-32GTZR)
PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 GT, 80plus gold (220-GT-0750-Y1)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition RGB CPU Air Cooler (RR-212S-20PC-R1)

Does it do this only when in the Windows environment or does it freeze up before/outside the Windows environment as well, like, in the BIOS, during POST or (And I'd recommend you try this) when running Ubuntu or another Linux distribution from a bootable flash drive?

May 17, 2022
Does it do this only when in the Windows environment or does it freeze up before/outside the Windows environment as well, like, in the BIOS, during POST or (And I'd recommend you try this) when running Ubuntu or another Linux distribution from a bootable flash drive?

It's only been freezing in windows, and usually after hours of usage somewhat randomly. I'll try booting with Linux when I can.

What motherboard BIOS version is currently installed?

Memory is validated for that board via G.Skill's memory configurator, so incompatibility isn't an issue. You have them in the second and fourth slots over from the CPU socket, right?

When you say "drivers are all updated", updated HOW? Using some automatic driver updater, or through Windows update, or did you manually go to the product page for your motherboard and download/install the latest drivers for chipset (.inf), network adapters, audio chipset and so forth?