Hello everyone,

I am running the following system -
CPU: AMD Threadripper 1950x
Mobo: MSI MEG X399 Creation
GPU: Zotac 1080 Ti Amp Extreme
RAM: GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200MHz 16GBx4
Cooler: Enermax LiqTech II TR4 OC
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 850W

I mainly use it to run simulations for training AI models and Neural Networks. My system has been running well for 1 year without any problems. Recently, I installed a riser cable for the GPU - which worked fine for about a week. But then, the video output started to freeze and become scratchy. So, I removed the riser and connected the GPU back directly to the PCIe slot. This solved the previous problem and the system ran well for another week.
But, now my system runs for about 30 minutes to 1 hour, and the motherboard suddenly posts 00 and the display turns off. Everything else seems to keep running (the cooler, video card, etc. remains ON). I tried updating the BIOS, using only a single stick of RAM, reconnecting the cables... but the problem persists.
(The monitor works fine which I checked separately with my laptop).

I don't understand what happened suddenly, as I haven't made any other changes to my system. Can anyone help me out here ?

Solution
My thought is that PSU may be nearing its designed in EOL (End of Life). Which can be premature on systems heavily used for gaming, video editing , and crypto mining.

Your work may be having much the same impact.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer.

Growing numbers of errors and/or varying errors would make the PSU suspect.

If possible swap in another known working PSU. Do not mix and match any cables from the Thermaltake PSU.

And you can do some testing on the PSU if you have a multimeter and know how to use it. Or know someone who does.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not under load. However, any voltages out of...

Ralston18

Titan
My thought is that PSU may be nearing its designed in EOL (End of Life). Which can be premature on systems heavily used for gaming, video editing , and crypto mining.

Your work may be having much the same impact.

Look in Reliability History and Event Viewer.

Growing numbers of errors and/or varying errors would make the PSU suspect.

If possible swap in another known working PSU. Do not mix and match any cables from the Thermaltake PSU.

And you can do some testing on the PSU if you have a multimeter and know how to use it. Or know someone who does.

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Not a full test because the PSU is not under load. However, any voltages out of tolerance would make the PSU very suspect.

Reactions: Sowmitra Das Sumit
Solution