Sep 20, 2020
I have asus x570 prime pro mobo and its rear mic jack (pink) suddenly stopped working. Then when I touched the mic, it zapped me which means for some reason something was not grounded. After a while of checking connections I saw that my ups was leaking voltage in the ground terminal and so my PC was not properly grounded. I suspect that for this reason my rear mic port is not working. I've also plugged the mic in the front port and it worked. Also all the other audio ports are working as well. Can that grounding problem cause the rear port to stop working and if not then why its happening?

Solution
.... Can that grounding problem cause the rear port to stop working and if not then why its happening?

Yes.

The voltages normally present on the motherboard itself (no more than 12V, but in the audio area most likely no more than 3V) aren't enough to 'feel'. So if you felt a 'zap' it's very likely the result of an ungrounded case and mains, or line, voltage being shorted to the case. Not only can that result in defective operation of the motherboard (including damaging the audio output) but also electrocution death.

I suspect you need to fix the power outlet you're using to your computer: three wires or at least install a GFI - Ground Fault Circuit interuptor - to protect you and your computer. That will probably...
.... Can that grounding problem cause the rear port to stop working and if not then why its happening?

Yes.

The voltages normally present on the motherboard itself (no more than 12V, but in the audio area most likely no more than 3V) aren't enough to 'feel'. So if you felt a 'zap' it's very likely the result of an ungrounded case and mains, or line, voltage being shorted to the case. Not only can that result in defective operation of the motherboard (including damaging the audio output) but also electrocution death.

I suspect you need to fix the power outlet you're using to your computer: three wires or at least install a GFI - Ground Fault Circuit interuptor - to protect you and your computer. That will probably require a qualified electrician to trace the branch all the way back to the load center if necessary and wire it correctly

Last edited:
Reactions: abhirupbakshi
Solution
Sep 25, 2020
I also have the same problem with the rear Mic port not working(i also have a asus motherboard). However i did not feel a zap from the Rear Mic port is there a solution to this?