Question motherboard recommend for R9 5900X

adarc8

Honorable
Nov 24, 2016
Hey,
I'm 95% machine learning programmer, and 5% gamer. Im considering upgrading my R5 1600x to Ryzen 9 5900x, so that my data and machine learninig scripts will run faster.

I've never understood why I shouldn't buy a simple motherboard, like the cheapest one that fits my CPU. If someone can explain to me how much of an impact a more expensive motherboard would make, I would consider spending more, but if not, I would appreciate a budget option for a motherboard. Having 4 RAM slots is a great bonus, but not a deal breaker.

Thank you so much!

bignastyid

Titan
Hey,
I'm 95% machine learning programmer, and 5% gamer. Im considering upgrading my R5 1600x to Ryzen 9 5900x, so that my data and machine learninig scripts will run faster.

I've never understood why I shouldn't buy a simple motherboard, like the cheapest one that fits my CPU. If someone can explain to me how much of an impact a more expensive motherboard would make, I would consider spending more, but if not, I would appreciate a budget option for a motherboard. Having 4 RAM slots is a great bonus, but not a deal breaker.

Thank you so much!
When using a higher end cpu, power delivery and memory support(mainly speed) should be considered for best performance.
Poor power delivery can lead to stability and/or performance issues(like VRM throttling or little to no boost).
Lack of support for high ram speeds can hold back cpu performance.
You don't have to go high end to get good power delivery and ram support.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/ZPDkcf/asrock-b550-pg-velocita-atx-am4-motherboard-b550-pg-velocita

adarc8

Honorable
Nov 24, 2016
When using a higher end cpu, power delivery and memory support(mainly speed) should be considered for best performance.
Poor power delivery can lead to stability and/or performance issues(like VRM throttling or little to no boost).
Lack of support for high ram speeds can hold back cpu performance.
You don't have to go high end to get good power delivery and ram support.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/ZPDkcf/asrock-b550-pg-velocita-atx-am4-motherboard-b550-pg-velocita
thank u so much,
what about these models:
GIGABYTE B550 AORUS PRO AC
MSI B550M AM4 MAG BAZOOKA DP HDMI

Including your suggestion, what would u say the pro and cons of each of the 3 products above?

BTW, is it also possible getting a mother board with Wifi and Bluetooth support?

bniknafs9

Honorable
Jan 21, 2019
don't buy cheap
i've got an asus prime p and the parts tend to fail over time . ( i now have to connect my speakers to the front plugs , and the network card tends to cause stuttering in online games)
this is intel but i'm assuming it would be the same for AMD too
buy MSI