Question Motherboard recommendation for an Intel 13th gen CPU ?

Thomaszz

Honorable
Jul 24, 2017
Hi all,

So I am planning to build a new pc in the upcoming 1-2 months but I have no clue what MOBO to buy for my build. I will most likely be running a 4070 or 4070ti with an i5 13600k.

I don't need WIFI or DDR5. Just looking for the best price to performance boards out there for intel 13th gen CPU's. I did some research and one requirement that the MOBO needs is BIOS Flashback to be able to run intel 13th gen cpu?

If you need more info in order to give recommendations, let me know.

Thank you in advance.

All of the B760 and Z790 based motherboards will be 13th gen capable.
The earlier B660 and Z690 need a bios update to run 13th gen.
Such updates became available last summer so by now all new B660 and Z690 based motherboards should come with the enabling bios.
On general principles, I would opt for B760 or Z790. They are refined versions of their predecessors.
Two things I would look for:
1) A robust looking heat sink over the vrm's.
2) At least 8+4 or preferably a 8+8 aux power connection.
All the major brands are good.
It might pay to check the newegg user reviews in case there is a lemon out there.
You should be able to find one for <$200.
I use the MSI Z690-A wifi DDR4 which does happen to have a flashback button(I tested, it works)

Thomaszz

Honorable
Jul 24, 2017
All of the B760 and Z790 based motherboards will be 13th gen capable.
The earlier B660 and Z690 need a bios update to run 13th gen.
Such updates became available last summer so by now all new B660 and Z690 based motherboards should come with the enabling bios.
On general principles, I would opt for B760 or Z790. They are refined versions of their predecessors.
Two things I would look for:
1) A robust looking heat sink over the vrm's.
All the major brands are good.
It might pay to check the newegg user reviews in case there is a lemon out there.
You should be able to find one for <$200.
I use the MSI Z690-A wifi DDR4 which does happen to have a flashback button(I tested, it works)
I was planning on buying the GIGABYTE Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 which is 230 euros (in The Netherlands). The GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX (290 euros) would of been my choice if I opt for a Z790. Other than not having to flash the BIOS when buying a Z790, what other benefits does it have? Since it is costing me 60 euros more. The RTX series GPU don't support PCI 5.0 nor are there affordable SSDS around for PCI 5.0.

Does the GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX support both DDR4 and DDR5 or only DDR5?
Why is this?

A motherboard is designed to run DDR4 OR DDR5, one or the other.
Supports only DDR5.
The same notherboard in DDR4 version would be:

I would not pay too much attention to pcie5/4/3...
In graphics the difference in performance is in the low single digits %, and that only applies to the most expensive cards.

On the ssd side, yes, DDR5 can show impressive sequential benchmark numbers at high queue depths.
But most ssd activity is small random i/o.
You will not be able to detect any difference without a benchmark.

8+8 allows the motherboard to use more power if the processor or graphics cards need it.
A 8 pin connector is capable of 150w.

Thomaszz

Honorable
Jul 24, 2017
A motherboard is designed to run DDR4 OR DDR5, one or the other.
Supports only DDR5.
The same notherboard in DDR4 version would be:

I would not pay too much attention to pcie5/4/3...
In graphics the difference in performance is in the low single digits %, and that only applies to the most expensive cards.

On the ssd side, yes, DDR5 can show impressive sequential benchmark numbers at high queue depths.
But most ssd activity is small random i/o.
You will not be able to detect any difference without a benchmark.

8+8 allows the motherboard to use more power if the processor or graphics cards need it.
A 8 pin connector is capable of 150w.
But isn't a good pair of DDR4 sticks better than DDR5 right now?
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-WFetQjifc
(LLT)

From a performance point of view, they are comparable.
Intel processors do not depend much on fast ram for performance
You may find that the DDR4 motherboard and ram combo is a bit cheaper.
One plus for DDR5 is that it runs on lower voltage.
Not a biggie to me. My last ram purchase was DDR5. Because of the low voltage, the particular kit I bought had NO heat spreaders at all.

Thomaszz

Honorable
Jul 24, 2017
From a performance point of view, they are comparable.
Intel processors do not depend much on fast ram for performance
You may find that the DDR4 motherboard and ram combo is a bit cheaper.
One plus for DDR5 is that it runs on lower voltage.
Not a biggie to me. My last ram purchase was DDR5. Because of the low voltage, the particular kit I bought had NO heat spreaders at all.
I will stick with DDR4. Is 3600MHz worth the extra price over 3200MHz or is the performance difference negligible?

If I would opt to go for a non K cpu then B760 MOBO would be better than Z790 correct?
Not necessarily better, K suffix processors perform a bit better than their non K counterparts. A decent B760 motherboard can handle that.
You are not looking at huge differences here. You mostly get what you pay for.
Less expensive B760 motherboards may be MATX in size if that makes a difference to you.
Their voltage management may be less robust and there may be other differences.
Just compare your choices side by side to see what the differences are.
Look up some choices on newegg. you can select to compare the specs of 5 motherboards side by side.

Thomaszz

Honorable
Jul 24, 2017
Not necessarily better, K suffix processors perform a bit better than their non K counterparts. A decent B760 motherboard can handle that.
You are not looking at huge differences here. You mostly get what you pay for.
Less expensive B760 motherboards may be MATX in size if that makes a difference to you.
Their voltage management may be less robust and there may be other differences.
Just compare your choices side by side to see what the differences are.
Look up some choices on newegg. you can select to compare the specs of 5 motherboards side by side.
I will not OC my CPU so for the best out of the box speed the 13700k is still better than the 13700, 13700f or 13700KF right?

13700 and 13700F specs say performance core turbo max is 5.1:

13700K and 13700KF performance core turbo max up to 5.3.

Not a big difference in performance, not a big difference in price either.
Take your pick.

Reactions: Thomaszz

Thomaszz

Honorable
Jul 24, 2017
13700 and 13700F specs say performance core turbo max is 5.1:

13700K and 13700KF performance core turbo max up to 5.3.

Not a big difference in performance, not a big difference in price either.
Take your pick.
Back to the original topic of this thread. I am sticking with DDR4 and looking for a Z790 DDR4 MOBO. Any recommendations? I am currently looking at the following:

All around the same price but no clue which one would be "better". My current MOBO is from MSI and the software is nice.

Thomaszz

Honorable
Jul 24, 2017
Since you now use MSI, stick with msi and the more familiar software/bios.
Of the two MSI boards, pick the tomahawk. The voltage is a bit more robust, and it has more available outputs on the rear panel.
Yeah will def pick the Tomahawk, it is basically the same price as the PRO because of the cashback deal going on.