[SOLVED] Motherboard recommendation for dual PCIe x16 (gen3 or gen4) setup

Squiggles

Prominent
Feb 14, 2021
Hi,

I need to upgrade my M5A97 R2.0 motherboard with something that can run two GPUs at PCIe 3.0 (preferably 4.0) x16 speeds. Any recommendations for boards or sites that can help me find a motherboard that meets that requirement.

I'd prefer it to be an AMD socket too. That said, does anyone know if the Dual CPU versions of eBay/AliExpress X79 boards can run two GPUs at x16?

Thanks,
Mohammad

Solution
Hi,

I need to upgrade my M5A97 R2.0 motherboard with something that can run two GPUs at PCIe 3.0 (preferably 4.0) x16 speeds. Any recommendations for boards or sites that can help me find a motherboard that meets that requirement.

I'd prefer it to be an AMD socket too. That said, does anyone know if the Dual CPU versions of eBay/AliExpress X79 boards can run two GPUs at x16?

Thanks,
Mohammad
The only AMD option would be a Threadripper. AMD desktop CPUs don't have enough PCIe lanes to run x16 on two graphics cards. X570 motherboards may haxw two x16 slots, but the cards would run at x8.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi,

Thanks,
Mohammad
The only AMD option would be a Threadripper. AMD desktop CPUs don't have enough PCIe lanes to run x16 on two graphics cards. X570 motherboards may haxw two x16 slots, but the cards would run at x8.

Reactions: Squiggles
Solution