[SOLVED] Motherboard Recommendation for i7 10700kf

Sidepiece86

Prominent
Jul 5, 2021
I'm building a new gaming pc. I ordered an i7 10700kf and would love some help choosing a mobo. I need an atx with z490 chipset but don't need/want wifi (it would be an extra cost for something I wouldn't use) and I'd be overclocking. My budget is $230 total for the mobo. My current rig is an extremely old i3 on an asus z87-a mobo and a gtx 1070 so I'm not up to date on newer hardware and tech. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
If you can get the Z490-A within your budget, then the "A" series ASUS boards are always a good budget choice. Usually they are basically a stripped down version of the "Hero" boards, and the quality is generally very good for the price. I would have no hesitation recommending that board other than the fact that ASUS customer service is for crap these days. They used to be very good in that area but no so much anymore. But, the boards themselves are generally very reliable.
In that price range, for a Z490 motherboard, my advice would be that the ASRock Z490 Extreme4 would be the best board for the money if that 230 dollars needs to include (Or come pretty close to it) taxes and shipping costs as well. The Z490 MSI Tomahawk is also a really good budget option with it's 12+1 VRM configuration.

Reactions: Sidepiece86

Sidepiece86

Prominent
Jul 5, 2021
In that price range, for a Z490 motherboard, my advice would be that the ASRock Z490 Extreme4 would be the best board for the money if that 230 dollars needs to include (Or come pretty close to it) taxes and shipping costs as well. The Z490 MSI Tomahawk is also a really good budget option with it's 12+1 VRM configuration.

I was looking at an asus prime z490-a but I'll definitely check out the two you mentioned. Thank you

If you can get the Z490-A within your budget, then the "A" series ASUS boards are always a good budget choice. Usually they are basically a stripped down version of the "Hero" boards, and the quality is generally very good for the price. I would have no hesitation recommending that board other than the fact that ASUS customer service is for crap these days. They used to be very good in that area but no so much anymore. But, the boards themselves are generally very reliable.

Reactions: Sidepiece86
Solution

Sidepiece86

Prominent
Jul 5, 2021
It's just a few dollars over budget (Newegg has them for $230+tax) and it seems like you get a lot more for that few extra dollars so I think that's going to be my choice. Thank you for the input!

And I appreciate the fact that you are smart enough to come here and ask for advice about something that you were less than sure of. That says you are actually a pretty smart person to be honest. If you ever have questions, feel free to always come here to ask for advice or even PM me personally. I'll probably tell you to create a thread and then PM me with the link, but I will always help if I can.

TRENDING THREADS