[SOLVED] Motherboard recommendation

Feb 21, 2020
I have an HP 750-150x computer. I purchased a graphics card (Radeon RX 560) to install on it but it would not accept it. After what seemed to be days of research online and numerous trials and errors I discovered that others were having the exact same problem installing a graphics card on an HP proprietary motherboard. The motherboard on my computer is a MS-7826 VER: 2.0.

I now have a good graphics card that I cannot use but would like to to better make use of photo editing software.

So, I made a decision to buy a new motherboard, which is why I'm seeking your recommendation. I am not interested in anything high end. I simply need something with similar dimensions as the one that is in the box now (Ms-7826 VER: 2.0) so it fits in the same box, and will also accommodate the following:

i7-4079 CPU
Radeon RX 560 graphics card
DDR3 RAM

I really would appreciate your help on this.

Solution
i7-4079 CPU not a valid model number.

Assuming that is i7-4790, a Z97 Chipset motherboard would be a good choice. They were sold new in 2014.

ASUS Z97-P

Retail boxed motherboards do not use the HP front panel connector. You would likely need to remove the wires from the connector. This is one reason not to reuse the HP case. Another is poor cooling in the case.

Since you would need a Micro-ATX form factor motherboard to fit the HP case, the ATX form factor motherboard above would not fit.

I suggest using a bare Mid-Tower PC case.
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811147153
Feb 21, 2020
Have you checked to see if there is a bios update, for your board? HP systems tend to be proprietary, so you get stuck having to use their hardware, in their systems, with regards to motherboards, and power supplies. What is the wattage, of the power supply, for your system?

Edit: Is this your system? https://support.hp.com/us-en/produc...ries/8499646/model/8501664/document/c04772316

Yes, that is my system. Bios is updated. The graphics card they recommended back then are no longer readily available. Regardless, I'm stuck with the new card I gotl

PS is 500 watts and it has the correct power connectors to feed the new card.

Assuming that is i7-4790, a Z97 Chipset motherboard would be a good choice. They were sold new in 2014.

ASUS Z97-P

Retail boxed motherboards do not use the HP front panel connector. You would likely need to remove the wires from the connector. This is one reason not to reuse the HP case. Another is poor cooling in the case.

Since you would need a Micro-ATX form factor motherboard to fit the HP case, the ATX form factor motherboard above would not fit.

Solution
Feb 21, 2020

ASUS Z97-P

Thanks for your reply. You are correct and I apologize for the mistype. It is an i7-4790 .

I also apologize if my questions reflect a certain amount of ignorance. It has been over 10 years since I've replaced a motherboard.

So, I would appreciate it if you could clarify some of your comments as follows:

1. Am I correct in assuming that any Z97, micro-ATX motherboard would fit my box? If so, would the expansion slots (i.e., PCie x 16) on the new motherboard line up with the openings on my box?

2. "I don't fully understand your statement, "Retail boxed motherboards do not use the HP front panel connector." So, the connectors on the current motherboard (MS-7826 VER: 2.0 ) that receive the wires coming from the front panel would be different on a new Z97 motherboard? That seems kinda odd.