locky28

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
Hi all,

Tossing up the idea of putting together a new PC, sold me old one a while ago and have been running with just my laptop but it's just not doin the job for gaming :p

I've decided with the following components,

Core 2 Duo E8500
4Gb of RAM, Gskill looks to be the go
500Gb HDD
Radeon 4850 512mb
19" Viewsonic VX922 monitor that I have lying around 1280x1024
Thermaltake 430w powersupply that I have lying around
And got a copy of Vista lying around as well hence the 4GB

Now I'm looking for a motherboard and haven't been following them for a while so not sure what to look for. So I'm reaching out for a recommendation, heres a few notes about what I'm after.

-Don't need crossfire
-Note sure if I should get DDR2/3, but leaning towards DDR2
-Might do a little overclock down the track but it's not a deal breaker
-I have a RAID card for the array that I use so don't need that
-Cheap but good Quality.

Any recomendations would be greatly appreciated :D

locky28

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
Thanks aevm, I actually just read a review on the P45-DS3L and came back to get opinions on that board, it looks to be exactly what I'm after.

However I didn't look into the DS3R which looks to be exactly the same but with an extra PCI-E 2.0 slot, not bad for an extra $10 bucks so I'm leaning towards that even though the PSU wouldn't handle it :p

Any more thoughts/suggestions?

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

P45 bottlenecks on cf due to pcie throttling back to x8, so you won't be using it anyway. DS3L is the way to go.
http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1472/7/page_7_benchmarks_crysis/index.html

locky28

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
Yeah I noticed that as well but it's only an extra $10 for the R, plus it's got a second Gigabit Ethernet port as well as firewire....

I think I'll go with the GA-EP45-DS3R, thanks for the advice everyone!

Your Thermaltake PSU is a little meager for that build, especially with the overclocking you say you may do. I think 500W would be a much safer choice.
On the RAM, whatever you choose, be sure it runs at its advertised timings on the JEDEC standard 1.8V.

locky28

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2006
I'm in australia so yeah not sure why theres such a big difference :S

Yes I'm concerned about how the PSU will hold up jtt but as I said I've got it lying around so I'll see how it goes before I splash out on a new one. I'm going to try to avoid overclocking as long as I can and by the time I feel the need to do it I'll prob be up for a new card that needs a bigger one anyway :p