Question Motherboard Recommendations – Ah hell not another one!

Aug 16, 2022
The new generation of AMD motherboards are almost here and I’m stuck with the same problem for building a new gaming rig. While the other components are not an issue and Price is not a primary consideration, I feel I always overdue my motherboard.
The more I read about them the more my head hurts; everyone seems to have a favorite and those boards always include features I’m not interested in. If some things can’t be avoided that’s fine, I just want the confidence (I never fully have) my choice isn’t overkill.
I understand I’m probably asking this a bit too early, but maybe suggestion based on past history?

What I want in a Motherboard:
  1. AMD - Latest generation AM5; Ryzen 7 7700 or Ryzen 9 7900 - LGA 1718
  2. Highest performance Gaming MB possible that fits my needs (ATX)
  3. Great Audio performance
  4. M.2 NVMe high throughput for fast data transfers (x2/x3 of them at most)
  5. SATA3.5 or current (at least 1 – for hard drive backups) Thunderbolt 3?
What I don’t need or don’t care about in a Motherboard:
  1. Overclocking (Not a OC Hobbyist)
  2. WiFi
  3. Flashy LED lighting

I understand I’m probably asking this a bit too early,
Since nobody can test boards with a Ryzen 7000 CPU yet, this is an accurate statement.

1. Unless you choose to disable PBO (not sure why) then everyone is into overclocking.
  2. WiFi is pretty near a standard inclusion nowadays. The number of non-WiFi boards this next generation will be even fewer.
  3. Lighting is also becoming pretty ubiquitous. More often than not, it's just going to be an included feature. You can turn the lights off.
I think where many people get "lost in the woods" is paying for features they don't need/use. ATX mobos with extra expansion slots they'll never use, multi-GPU support, crazy VRM configs, etc etc. It sounds like you're pretty in tune with that, so that's a good start.

AMD has a nefarious record for delaying their B-series mobos for ~6 months to push X-series boards that provide additional features that few consumers need/use, so you're going to be limited there.

I'd keep an eye on the MS Direct Storage API development for whether you need PCIe5.0 SSD support or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Slatfatf