[SOLVED] Motherboard Recommendations for R7-3800X

Aidan B

Honorable
Sep 11, 2016
At this point in time, I am going to get a Ryzen 7 3800X. I've already bought and received the RAM: 4x8 Trident Z Neo @ 3600MHz. On top of that, I'm planning on getting the Lian Li Dyanamic PC-O11 Razer Edition, and I've already got (for GPU) the EVGA GTX 1070 ACX3.0 BE SC and (for PSU) the EVGA SuperNOVA 800W. I was originally planning on getting the MSI MPG Gaming Pro Carbon + WiFi, but I read about it on another THW forum post being worse than the Aorus Pro yet being similarly priced. So now I'm wondering what might be the best X570 MoBo for my parts setup that's around the same price as the MSI or Gigabyte MoBo, say, give or take like $60. Aesthetics are mildly important, which is partially why I originally chose the MSI MoBo.

The x570 offerings are for the most part quite similar to one another except for number of USB ports, LAN and sound.

Looks like your budget allows for a solid board. Just read the reviews on the MSI x570 offerings, the lower end offerings run hot. Gigabyte and Asus tend to have better VRM than MSI.

Aidan B

Honorable
Sep 11, 2016
The x570 offerings are for the most part quite similar to one another except for number of USB ports, LAN and sound.

Looks like your budget allows for a solid board. Just read the reviews on the MSI x570 offerings, the lower end offerings run hot. Gigabyte and Asus tend to have better VRM than MSI.

In that case, are there any specific models which you would recommend for my price range? Thanks :)

Dec 9, 2019
I did quite a lot of research and chose the X570 Asrock Taichi finally. Looks pretty nice and has most features I need. However the chipset fan runs at a pretty high rpm. I have updated the fan curve through their software, so noise is not an issue... but who knows how long it can keep spinning at 3000-5000 rpm. I saw a Beta version of their new Bios updates comes with something done to the fan curve, so it looks like they have addressed it.

Another really annoying thing about taichi is their RGB control. It really sucks. Even after updating and reflashing as many people have been having to do.

I have a MSI X570 Unify next to me in a box... this got good reviews from HardwareUnboxed (youtube). But from other reviews I think performance is more or less the same. The VRM solution seems to be the same as their higher priced models, but with a more beefy cooling solution to adress all the issues that was seen on their mid range priced boards. As GarettL is statíng the MSI's are HOT.

Last edited:

Aidan B

Honorable
Sep 11, 2016
For Asus, the TUF or any other board above that offering would be solid.
I did quite a lot of research and chose the X570 Asrock Taichi finally. Looks pretty nice and has most features I need. However the chipset fan runs at a pretty high rpm. I have updated the fan curve through their software, so noise is not an issue... but who knows how long it can keep spinning at 3000-5000 rpm. I saw a Beta version of their new Bios updates comes with something done to the fan curve, so it looks like they have addressed it.

Another really annoying thing about taichi is their RGB control. It really sucks. Even after updating and reflashing as many people have been having to do.

I have a MSI X570 Unify next to me in a box... this got good reviews from HardwareUnboxed (youtube). But from other reviews I think performance is more or less the same. The VRM solution seems to be the same as their higher priced models, but with a more beefy cooling solution to adress all the issues that was seen on their mid range priced boards. As GarettL is statíng the MSI's are HOT.

I really appreciate the insight y'all! After reading all this, I looked around some more and I think I've settled on the Gigabyte AORUS Master. I know it's $100-ish more, but I think I can extend the budget enough to allow it. I would label both of y'all as having best answer, but it won't allow that. Thanks, everyone! :)

Reactions: GarrettL
I really appreciate the insight y'all! After reading all this, I looked around some more and I think I've settled on the Gigabyte AORUS Master. I know it's $100-ish more, but I think I can extend the budget enough to allow it. I would label both of y'all as having best answer, but it won't allow that. Thanks, everyone! :)

That board has nice features and is a good choice! Let us know how it turns out.