Mar 29, 2019
Hi guys, I am upgrading my gaming pc, one part at a time, (some new parts & some second hand) & first of all I just want to thank everyone who helped me choose a decent psu, I’m very new to pc building & You’ve all been incredibly helpful & welcoming.

So, my rig is:
Gigabyte GA-H81M-S2H motherboard,
(with LGA-1150 socket),
Intel Core i7 4790k CPU,
Cryorig H7Plus CPU cooler (twin fan),
16GB(2X8) Corsair Vengeance RAM@1600,
Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W PSU,
Asus Rog Strix GTX 1080ti GPU,
Kingston 120GB Now300V SSD,
Seagate 1TB HDD-(soon to be replaced with a 1TB SSD),
Super Writemaster DVD Multi optical drive,
My case is a CiT Neptune Mid-Tower Case,
(with 2 case fans).

My PC is only used for gaming & I enjoy using it with my Oculus Rift CV1 VR aswell.
The next thing I want to upgrade is my motherboard to something more gaming spec’ to make better use of my processor. I am not planning on changing my CPU or RAM at the moment, so I’m looking at sticking with the LGA1150 socket.
I really like the ASUS ROG Motherboards & was thinking of getting one of the ASUS ROG MAXIMUS VII motherboards but:
[A]: I’ve read on here that they’re not good motherboards for inexperienced builders & are far from “plug & play” & also have a complicated BIOS.
I’ll be honest, I find the BiOS settings daunting, as I’m very inexperienced at getting pc’s up & running & I don’t want to get out of my depth.
[&B]: I don’t understand the difference between the different models (such as Hero, Ranger, Formula, Impact, etc),
[Also C]: I understand I will need to transfer my windows licence over when I replace the motherboard & I do not have a Windows disc or anything, as my PC was originally bought as a custom build, made for me by a shop that no longer exists & I understand that my Windows installation was just put on there from an “image”? Does that make sense? So that’s another big worry for me.
Anyway, please can I get some recommendations as to what a great choice of motherboard for my system would be?
Also, any help & info I need about the BiOS settings, getting up & running after fitting the new motherboard & also transferring my Windows licence over would be greatly appreciated aswell. (It was running Windows 8 when I first bought it, but I have upgraded it to Windows 10).
Sorry for such a long post, but I wanted to make sure I included all the relevant info’.
Many thanks in advance for Your help. Lee.

They are good boards but really you should be looking for new CPU and motherboard combo with ram. We are now on Intel 9xxx series having gone through 6/7/8xxx series already since yours.
If you really want to upgrade the board any used Z97 board should do the trick and allow for OC on the CPU.