[SOLVED] Motherboard Recommendations

jake_2978

Honorable
Sep 28, 2015
Looking to upgrade to the new 3700X from my very dated FX-8320 so obviously have to change mobo too and I don't know which one to purchase, any recommendations?

Solution
Yes. Also, another option is the fact that if you live anywhere near a Micro center, or have a reputable repair shop within reasonable distance, Micro center will update the BIOS for you using their own CPU, to a version that supports the newer CPUs, for like 15 bucks. I'm sure many other repair facilities have similar services. so that's an option as well. You'd still save money. But X570 works out of the box. Assuredly.

jake_2978

Honorable
Sep 28, 2015
You are going to also need DDR4 memory, as your current platform uses DDR3.

What can you afford to budget for memory and motherboard and what country are you in?

I didn’t realise that I’m still kinda learning a lot of stuff 😂 realistically like 150 for the board and 100 RAM, my ddr3 is 16gb right now, and I am in the UK

Well, now there's a problem. Do you know anybody with a 1st or 2nd gen Ryzen CPU that might let you borrow it for updating the motherboard BIOS? Because there are only like two or three boards with Flashback so the BIOS can be updated to a newer version that supports the latest CPUs without having an existing Ryzen CPU. This isn't a new thing, happens just about every generation, and it usually takes a few months before chipsets from the previous generation start trickling into the market with the BIOS version already updated.

Darkbreeze I was talking your good hands.

If I was on uk pricing? On newegg
Looks like you could do a asus prime x470 Pro (which update needed by you with a 1st or 2gen cpu If you buy too soon)
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16813119100
I saw 3 x570's for $169.99 and a asrock phontom for $154.00 but i don't think it's in stock yet. And i have no real reviews or threads to go on yet as to recommend an x570.

And G.skill 16gb 3200 2x8 gtzrx
https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232751?item=N82E16820232751

if you could raise your budget for the mobo you could get into a entry level x570.
Or depending on what you are doing with the system you could go with the 3600x use the difference for x570
Or wait awhile till current x470 mobo stock gets changed out with updated boards, but there is no telling how long for that, (saving your money while waiting)
But know on the x470 you won't get all the new features like pcie 4.0

Would you be buying online or @a local store which maybe could update the mobo?
A few things to think about.
Good luck with you build!!!!

Reactions: jake_2978
Any board you buy right now that isn't X570 is VERY unlikely to have the required BIOS version unless it specifically says Ryzen 3000 compatible on the box. It will probably take at least a month or two for all of the major vendors to phase out the older, not already compliant models on the shelf.

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2

jake_2978

Honorable
Sep 28, 2015
Any board you buy right now that isn't X570 is VERY unlikely to have the required BIOS version unless it specifically says Ryzen 3000 compatible on the box. It will probably take at least a month or two for all of the major vendors to phase out the older, not already compliant models on the shelf.
Will x570 work straight out the box with a 3k ryzen?

Yes. Also, another option is the fact that if you live anywhere near a Micro center, or have a reputable repair shop within reasonable distance, Micro center will update the BIOS for you using their own CPU, to a version that supports the newer CPUs, for like 15 bucks. I'm sure many other repair facilities have similar services. so that's an option as well. You'd still save money. But X570 works out of the box. Assuredly.

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2
Solution