Question Motherboard Recommendations?

Joe Doe

Honorable
Jan 18, 2017
Looking on building a computer for very intensive video / multimedia editing, digital FX, engineering, gaming, etc.

Will be choosing a Nvidia GeForce RTX 3090, and either an AMD Ryzen™ 9 5900X or 5950X.

One of the biggest concerns is either a native Thunderbolt port, or a Thunderbolt header to accommodate an PCIe Thunderbolt card.

Can you recommend the best, most awesomeest motherboard for those needs?

THANK YOU!

Ralston18

Titan
Budget?

Start here:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-motherboards,3984.html

Also, take a close look at the hardware requirements for the apps you plan to run and the games you wish to play.

Most software provides some listing of hardware requirements in the form of "minimal", "recommended", and "best".

You do not want minimal and you do want as much best as you can afford.

Drive(s), drive space are important.

The amount of RAM is important.

And you will need a high end PSU to support the build.

Best Power Supplies of 2022 - Top PSUs for Gaming PCs | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com)

As for thunderbolt:

https://www.technewstoday.com/thunderbolt-3-motherboards/

Plan it all out very carefully. Be sure to read all available User Guides/Manuals before making any purchases.

Details matter.

Joe Doe

Honorable
Jan 18, 2017
Budget?

Start here:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-motherboards,3984.html

Also, take a close look at the hardware requirements for the apps you plan to run and the games you wish to play.

Most software provides some listing of hardware requirements in the form of "minimal", "recommended", and "best".

You do not want minimal and you do want as much best as you can afford.

Drive(s), drive space are important.

The amount of RAM is important.

And you will need a high end PSU to support the build.

Best Power Supplies of 2022 - Top PSUs for Gaming PCs | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com)

As for thunderbolt:

https://www.technewstoday.com/thunderbolt-3-motherboards/

Plan it all out very carefully. Be sure to read all available User Guides/Manuals before making any purchases.

Details matter.

Thanks so much!

As for budget, it’s nearly unlimited, but of course, there is the level where just the GPU alone is 10-30k and that’s too much, hahaha. Between 7-9k for the whole system is the limit.

From my research it looks like the Ryzen is out because the Motherboard / Thunderbolt options are slim to none for AMD so I’m fine with an Intel socket.

I’m seeing great things about the ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Extreme, which has native Thunderbolt Type C ports. But I would think I’d want the Intel i9-12900K, however that’s an LGA1700 socket, while the Maximus XIII Extreme is an LGA 1200? Which means I’d have to go with a Intel Core i9 -11900k instead???

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks so much!

As for budget, it’s nearly unlimited, but of course, there is the level where just the GPU alone is 10-30k and that’s too much, hahaha. Between 7-9k for the whole system is the limit.

From my research it looks like the Ryzen is out because the Motherboard / Thunderbolt options are slim to none for AMD so I’m fine with an Intel socket.

I’m seeing great things about the ASUS ROG Maximus XIII Extreme, which has native Thunderbolt Type C ports. But I would think I’d want the Intel i9-12900K, however that’s an LGA1700 socket, while the Maximus XIII Extreme is an LGA 1200? Which means I’d have to go with a Intel Core i9 -11900k instead???
Why would you pay that much for a motherboard that is just a gimmick? It has 0 absolutely nothing to offer but being overpriced.

Buy you a lot cheaper MSI Tomahawk it will do the exact same thing for a lot less money.
I will never even consider a Asus board again since you can buy a better or the same board for a lot less money just without the gimmick in most cases bad software.

EDIT When you get into buying a motherboard it just needs to have the proper power delivery for the processor and the other options you need not Gimmick crap that is overpriced.

Last edited:

Joe Doe

Honorable
Jan 18, 2017
Why would you pay that much for a motherboard that is just a gimmick? It has 0 absolutely nothing to offer but being overpriced.

Buy you a lot cheaper MSI Tomahawk it will do the exact same thing for a lot less money.
I will never even consider a Asus board again since you can buy a better or the same board for a lot less money just without the gimmick in most cases bad software.

EDIT When you get into buying a motherboard it just needs to have the proper power delivery for the processor and the other options you need not Gimmick crap that is overpriced.

Generalities are typically not helpful.

Can you share any specifics?

Which MSI board will take an Intel i9-12900K, has multiple integrated Thunderbolt 4 USB C ports, USB 3.2 Gen 2×2 for front-panel, five M.2 slots, 10g Ethernet, addressable RGB headers, 18+2 teamed power stages @ 110 Amps each, DIMM.2 which is essentially a RAM slot, and the other features?

If anything beyond "proper power delivery to the processor" qualifies as a gimmick to you, I would thank you for your help but suggest any further discussion may be futile.