Motherboard Recommendations

pcpro178

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
I'm thinking of building a high-performance-good-value gaming computer that can support three monitors and (hopefully) have some future upgrade capacity, but I'm a bit ;) lost on what motherboard to use.

This is the processor I would like to use:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX

What motherboard do you recommend? If there's a different AMD processor you'd recommend, please speak up! :)

EDIT

I'm leaning toward one of these:

GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
ASUS M5A99X EVO AM3+ AMD 990X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Which do you think is better?

Solution
Both board are pretty much the same except for the manafactuer.

I personally prefer (along with a lot of posters here) the Asus boards, but there are people who prefer the Gigabyte boards. honestly they have the same features, and are both great boards. I can't really say one is better, except for the preference of liking Asus better.

If you can't choose, which color scheme do you like better?
Both board are pretty much the same except for the manafactuer.

I personally prefer (along with a lot of posters here) the Asus boards, but there are people who prefer the Gigabyte boards. honestly they have the same features, and are both great boards. I can't really say one is better, except for the preference of liking Asus better.

If you can't choose, which color scheme do you like better?

Solution

pcpro178

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011

What do you mean by "sensitive to RAM?"

beenthere

Distinguished
A lot of the top brand RAM does not function without issues in Asus mobos because they push the design limits beyond industry standards and then hardware conflicts can result. The power supply circuits have also been shaky on some Asus mobo models.

pcpro178

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011

That's good to know. Thanks.