Motherboard remains powered after shutdown

H4wQ

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
Hi guys and gals,

I've looked all over for other people with this problem and all I can find is people saying it's completely normal when it is most definitely not.

About a month ago when I shut down sometimes the lights on my video cards (Asus GTX 670 in SLI) would remain on as well as my sound card and a light on the motherboard (fans and all other case led's turn off). It was just every now and then to start so I'd turn it back on and off again and they'd go out. It never did this for years so it's definitely not normal nor have I had a computer or motherboard that has kept all the lights on.

Now they stay on all the time and having my computer right next to my bed with a case with a window and bright lights shining through the night is very annoying so every night I have to flip the PSU off. Also, when the computer is off if you touch the keyboard it lights up (backlit) and remains lit in the default white until you turn the computer on or shut the PSU off, so blocking the lights from the case doesn't help when my cat walks on the keyboard at night lol.

No hardware has changed since it started doing this, It started in windows 8.1 and continues to do it in windows 10 (format and clean install). I've also reset the bios to optimized defaults and recently updated the most recent bios firmware which had no effect.

My biggest concern is whether this could potentially be a sign that my PSU is on its way out as it began intermittently and now stays like this. PC Specs are as follows:

Intel i5 2500k
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600
Corsair HX1000 PSU
2x Asus GTX 670
500GB Samsung 850 Evo
Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty

Solution
In the BIOS under ADVANCED > APM there is a ErP/EuP setting, set to enabled S5 (shutdown) state. Also uninstall or disable AI charger if u have it.

jamshock

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013

Hi,

I have had the same problem with my crosshair v formula z. Disabling Ai Charger in the BIOS solved that.

I hope this works for you.

dfk

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2013
In the BIOS under ADVANCED > APM there is a ErP/EuP setting, set to enabled S5 (shutdown) state. Also uninstall or disable AI charger if u have it.

Solution
Jun 21, 2018

This worked on Gigabyte GA-H110M-H

TRENDING THREADS