Mar 22, 2022
Hey there,

Recently moved my PC into a new case and ever since have been hearing a subtle 'revving' sort of sound coming from the motherboard (B450 Tomahawk Max) Never heard it before I changed case so I'm assuming the two are connected, maybe I knocked the board when moving it over and something got damaged ? It's definitely nothing to do with the fans and I've isolated the noise to underneath this heatsink (image link below).

Just an fyi I'm not the most savvy with troubleshooting PCs so I've got no idea how to take this thing off to have a look underneath (or whether I should be doing that at all aha). Gave the BIOS an update which didn't seem to do anything, not sure how to proceed next; hoping I don't have to replace the board.

Suggestions ?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15-GnNUu1aX5dpZGBpf_btoklgK8GYspc/view?usp=sharing

Solution
you can share images to be viewed inside of the thread by using the insert image option and IMGUR as the image host.
It's definitely nothing to do with the fans
how have you verified that it isn't a particular fan?
have you completely stopped all of them one at a time?
I've isolated the noise to underneath this heatsink
how have you verified that the sound is coming from this particular area of the motherboard?
is it loud enough that just having your ear near it is enough?

there would be no moving parts under VRM, PCH, or M.2 heatsinks to produce any noise unless your board has a built-in heatsink fan.

the only other culprit i would guess would be a malfunctioning circuit producing an electrostatic buzz.
got no...
you can share images to be viewed inside of the thread by using the insert image option and IMGUR as the image host.
It's definitely nothing to do with the fans
I've isolated the noise to underneath this heatsink
how have you verified that the sound is coming from this particular area of the motherboard?

there would be no moving parts under VRM, PCH, or M.2 heatsinks to produce any noise unless your board has a built-in heatsink fan.

the only other culprit i would guess would be a malfunctioning circuit producing an electrostatic buzz.
got no idea how to take this thing off
if the board is still under warranty just file for RMA.
removing any onboard heatsink would void any warranty.

Solution
Mar 22, 2022

if the board is still under warranty just file for RMA.
removing any onboard heatsink would void any warranty.

Cheers for the reply mate, insightful stuff. Yeah so I did check each fan individually at varying speeds which produced the sound at the same level independent of what the fans were doing, and as well by taking a small field recorder and turning the gain up on the onboard directional mic to see if I can isolate the noise within the case. If it's not coming from underneath this heatsink it's certainly coming from this area - from what you say reckon it could be something faulty like a buzzing circuit or at least out of my expertise.

Sounds like checking that warranty's a good idea, cheers pal.

View: https://imgur.com/a/IXVmYIH

Mar 22, 2022
Can you share audio recording of the sound?

Generally revving sounds can be made by some movement.
Fans (cpu, case and psu), or mechanical hard drive.

Chip under a heatsink will not make any sound.

It's not making this noise all the time it sorta comes and goes, changing fan speed makes no difference to the intensity or anything and it doesn't seem to sound like any rattling ? Although like you say it definitely sounds like a fan problem but I for the life of me can't figure it out.

(link should work):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I-ShzkKTx734z3n9-ZytxVPgOJqnLto4/view?usp=sharing

changing fan speed makes no difference to the intensity or anything and it doesn't seem to sound like any rattling ? Although like you say it definitely sounds like a fan problem
i've dealt with malfunctioned/damaged fan bearings before that produced annoying rubbing noise as soon as the blades started moving.

you would need to actually stop each fan one at a time to ensure it is not one of them.
slowing them down may not have any affect on the sound.
lightly press your finger against the center of the fan until they come to a complete stop.
if the noise does happen to stop with any of them then you know it was the culprit.

Mar 22, 2022
that really sounds like a fan trying to rev up over and over again.

how are system fans setup?
all connected to motherboard headers or running to a hub that is connected to a motherboard header?

if you have any control software that shows fan RPMs check and see if any are having issue reaching or maintaining set speeds.

Righto so I've got two case fans and a third for the CPU, checked the BIOS and found the intake fan couldn't seem to reach the same RPM or keep up with the other fans: View: https://imgur.com/a/SE50tzh

Have a couple spare 120mm fans lying round so I changed that one which seemed to fix the RPM problem, however the same noise in the same place still persisted. From there I just switched all the fans out and the exact same thing, same noise coming from the same spot regardless of fans.

Could there be a small one underneath that heatsink ?

Righto so I've got two case fans and a third for the CPU, checked the BIOS and found the intake fan couldn't seem to reach the same RPM or keep up with the other fans: View: https://imgur.com/a/SE50tzh

Have a couple spare 120mm fans lying round so I changed that one which seemed to fix the RPM problem, however the same noise in the same place still persisted. From there I just switched all the fans out and the exact same thing, same noise coming from the same spot regardless of fans.

Could there be a small one underneath that heatsink ?
There could be a small fan. Though AMD didn't officially have fans on AM4 motherboards until x570 series, maybe MSI snuck one in.