Question Motherboard RGB LEDs and GPU indicator LEDs are on, but whenever I try to boot, nothing

Tttheiler

Prominent
Dec 6, 2019
(sorry if this is the wrong forum) So, tonight I had a new motherboard and CPU come in the mail today. Once it arrived, I powered off my computer and took out my old motherboard and CPU and put in an Asrock X570 Steel Legend with WiFi and an Amd Ryzen 5 3600x. I am using the same case I got in 2017 (Rosewill RISE full tower), but plan on getting a new one later this month. I connected everything it said to, tried to power it on, and only the motherboard and GPU lights kicked on, and that was only by switching my PSU (EVGA 600BQ) on. When I tried the power button, no luck. No fans started up and nothing happened.
I checked to see if the panel connectors were in the wrong order, but my booklet that came with the MB and several tutorials showed the same placing. Furthermore, I switched out the power button connector thinking the power button was just broken with an unused one connected to a different button. Even so, it still didn't boot. I am absolutely stumped and I also have an AutoCAD thing due Monday and this is my only computer. Any help is accepted. It should also be noted the GPU, RAM, the case, and the PSU worked prior to this.
Also here is a clearer list of my specs if it helps:
Rosewill RISE full tower,
ASRock STEEL LEGEND x570 WiFi AX,
AMD Ryzen 5 3600x,
RTX 2060 SUPER (ASUS ROG STRIX A8G),
EVGA 600BQ PSU,
GSkill Aegis DDR4 32gb (2x16) 2400

... Even so, it still didn't boot. I am absolutely stumped and I also have an AutoCAD thing due Monday and this is my only computer. Any help is accepted. ...
May not be particularly helpful solving the problem with your new system, but I'd suggest putting back together the system you know works and finish out the AutoCAD assignment. That seems the safe thing at the moment since you might very well have a DOA motherboard but you won't know it until after trying a bunch of things people are going to suggest.

The first thing I'd suggest is double and triple check all connections are on right and fully engaged. Especially the 20+4 pin power from PSU and the power switch leads to the case. Check them by re-seating them (disconnect and reconnect).

Make sure memory's in the right sockets and re-seat the DIMM's.

Re-seat the GPU; make sure it's in the correct (top) PCIe socket.

Check that no standoffs are missing and all standoffs have screw that's tightened.

Check that heatsink is properly mounted on CPU.

Check that monitor is connected to output port on the GPU, not one on the motherboard.

Last thing to check, since you have to remove it to do so, is check CPU for bent pins.

Last edited:

Tttheiler

Prominent
Dec 6, 2019
May not be particularly helpful solving the problem with your new system, but I'd suggest putting back together the system you know works and finish out the AutoCAD assignment. That seems the safe thing at the moment since you might very well have a DOA motherboard but you won't know it until after trying a bunch of things people are going to suggest.

The first thing I'd suggest is double and triple check all connections are on right and fully engaged. Especially the 20+4 pin power from PSU and the power switch leads to the case. Check them by re-seating them (disconnect and reconnect).

Make sure memory's in the right sockets and re-seat the DIMM's.

Re-seat the GPU; make sure it's in the correct (top) PCIe socket.

Check that no standoffs are missing and all standoffs have screw that's tightened.

Check that heatsink is properly mounted on CPU.

Check that monitor is connected to output port on the GPU, not one on the motherboard.

Last thing to check, since you have to remove it to do so, is check CPU for bent pins.
I've checked everything including the cpu, and it's all fine. Unfortunately I think you're right about it being dead on arrival. I should've mentioned this, but the anti-static bag the board came in was ripped before I got it so I wouldn't be surprised if that caused it. I hope Newegg has a good return and replace policy.

Tttheiler

Prominent
Dec 6, 2019
Just to follow this up, I got a different motherboard and my computer is working fine now. However I found out the true reason why my computer wouldn't boot. For whatever reason, when I plugged in the front fan headers, the entire chassis just didn't work. I have no idea why it did this, but that's what happened. I know this bc it did the exact same thing on my new board. After I unplugged it though, it worked fine. I'm not looking for further help, I am just filling in anyone that mightve had the same issue as me

TRENDING THREADS