Question Motherboard Rog Crosshair VIII Formula - USB 3 Ports Problem

John_253

Honorable
Feb 14, 2016
My PC has several USB 3 ports on the rear and one in the front, however, I would like more at the front, so I purchased a USB 3 caddy with three USB 3 ports and memory card slots, however, since I was short of one USB 3 header in my PC, I also purchased a PCI card with two USB 3 headers. The USB 3 cable from the front caddy plugs into the spare USB 3 header on the MOBO and the USB 2 cable from the front caddy (memory card slots), plugs into a USB 2 to USB 3 converter cable. This USB 3 cable then plugs into one of the two USB 3 headers on the PCI card.

The problem is only two of the three USB 3 ports on the front caddy work and the other single USB 3 port which is built into the case now refuses to work. The USB 2 memory card slots in the front caddy do work, however.

Am I trying to run too many USB 3 ports from the one machine?

My PC has several USB 3 ports on the rear and one in the front, however, I would like more at the front, so I purchased a USB 3 caddy with three USB 3 ports and memory card slots, however, since I was short of one USB 3 header in my PC, I also purchased a PCI card with two USB 3 headers. The USB 3 cable from the front caddy plugs into the spare USB 3 header on the MOBO and the USB 2 cable from the front caddy (memory card slots), plugs into a USB 2 to USB 3 converter cable. This USB 3 cable then plugs into one of the two USB 3 headers on the PCI card.

The problem is only two of the three USB 3 ports on the front caddy work and the other single USB 3 port which is built into the case now refuses to work. The USB 2 memory card slots in the front caddy do work, however.

Am I trying to run too many USB 3 ports from the one machine?
Since there are 12 usb 3 ports on the back I personally would just use an extension cable to bring 1 or more to the front.