[SOLVED] Motherboard(s) wont start : i tried everything. CPU Dead ?

Sep 25, 2021
Hello all,

Config :
Mobo : ASUS Prime B450 Plus
CPU : Ryzen 5 2600
PSU : Textorm TX650M+
Ram : Vengeance LPX CMK 16Ghz x2
GC : GTX1060

Replacement pieces tried :
Mobo : MSI B450 Gaming plus max
PSU : be quiet ! pure power 11 600 W

----

I left my desktop working just fine 10 days ago. Shut off the PSU switch before leaving, and even shutoff the general electricity in my house.
I come back and try to turn it on : nothing.
Here's what I've checked :
  • General electricity : ON
  • Wall socket : working
  • Multi-socket : working
  • Actual socket the PSU is plugged on : working
  • PSU backswitch : ON
  • 24 pin in mobo : YES
  • CPU 8 pin mobo : YES
Right now, everything should be just working. I don't have a mobo buzzer, nor debbug leds that could help.
Note : ETH PORT led turns on when plugged in, Bluetooth USB dungle led turns on when plugged in too.

I've worked my way back :
  • Unplugged everything on the back (keyboards, screens, etc.) : Nothing
  • Removed Graphic card : Nothing
  • Remove Ram : Nothing
I'm left with just Mobo, CPU, PSU : not a sign of life. CPU fan wont flinch, nothing moves.
Move it out of the case : breadboard. Nothing.

I grab a multimeter an test my PSU : everything gives expected value on the 24 pin.
I "hardboot" my psu using a bridge : PSU fan turns on (but is unplugged from mobo, so yknow...)

I get a new PSU, receive it yesterday. Plug it in : nothing.

Must be the mobo. Order a new one. Get it today. Switch the CPU to the new mobo. Use the new PSU. Try to turn it on : nothing (pin bridge & case button turnon).
Also : new mobo comes with a CMOS reset button, that when pushed, blinks 3 times successfully after a couple of seconds. Only sign of life i get from the new mobo.

I... I'm just lost. I don't understand. I feel I'm missing something super obvious from the start that made me go through the whole struggle for nothing. I don't understand how out of nowhere my desktop could not start when it worked like a charm 10 days ago.

I'm posting this message before ordering a new CPU because it's yet another expense and I want to be sure I didnt forget anything. I've read and worked through the recommanded thread on the forum. I just feel lost and out of luck. And I just don't understand and that kills me cause I just feel it's something super dumb i'm forgetting.

Thanks all.

Last edited:
Solution
I'm posting this message before ordering a new CPU because it's yet another expense and I want to be sure I didnt forget anything. I've read and worked through the recommanded thread on the forum. I just feel lost and out of luck. And I just don't understand and that kills me cause I just feel it's something super dumb i'm forgetting.
well you could go to a local pc shop or a local technician to see if they have spare cpus and gpus to test in that motherboard and old motherboard, if both are fine, then the cpu could be the culprit..
well you could go to a local pc shop or a local technician to see if they have spare cpus and gpus to test in that motherboard and old motherboard, if both are fine, then the cpu could be the culprit..

Solution