[SOLVED] Motherboard safety question?

Mar 29, 2021
i5-9600k
Gigabyte Z390 UD
Gigabyte 1070
Corsair CX750M
Corsair Vengeance 24gb

Hi, so I put my build into another case the other day, everything worked normally with no issue. Previous to swapping cases, my build ran fine for 3+ years. I turned it off for the night and when I woke up it wouldn't start again at all. I've pretty muched ruled it out to being a damaged CPU, as I've tried it in a new mobo and it won't get to post with it. I was just wondering if my mobo (Z390) has some sort of safety feature not allowing it to start due to the CPU being damaged? If I put the 24-pin in, leaving the CPU power out, it powers on and stays on. The new one that I bought will turn on for 10 seconds, not post or anything, then turn off and back on again creating a loop.

Im scared to buy a new CPU and put it in the old mobo for it to end up frying somehow. Should I just keep the new one and rma the old?

Solution
Ok. Sounds like it the RGB that is lighting up for you. Doesn't make sense to me that it's not giving you a warning on the status lights.

When you get an opportunity, try completely removing the GTX 1070 from the system and try booting up just from the on-board graphics of your I5-9600K,

-Wolf sends
Mar 29, 2021
Open up the case and try to power the system on with the I5-9600K installed. In the lower-right corner, next to the Front Panel connectors are you system status lights. Are any of them lit when you try to power up?

-Wolf sends

The orange decorative lights come on, but nothing other than that.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Gigabyte Z390 UD Motherboard Manual
Reference Pgs 4, 19

N0jWUGr.jpg

What "decorative" light? Was it one of these four?

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
Ok. Sounds like it the RGB that is lighting up for you. Doesn't make sense to me that it's not giving you a warning on the status lights.

When you get an opportunity, try completely removing the GTX 1070 from the system and try booting up just from the on-board graphics of your I5-9600K,

-Wolf sends

Solution