[SOLVED] Motherboard SCREW infinitely spinning

Feb 1, 2022
Hey guys! My friend and I are first time PC builders, we've watched a couple of videos on how to build a PC but we got stuck on this one part. The case we have is a Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh Edition. The standoffs were pre installed. When we try to screw in the motherboard screw, it just keeps inifintely spinning. There are two types of screws: long one and short ones. The bigger ones have thicker threading. And there are only 2 long ones and approx 20 short ones. We've tried short and long, different, standoffs, and still the same issue. Help please!! 🙏

Last edited:
Solution
Sounds like you're trying to use a screw that's too small for the standoff.

Usually the screws that have a hex+phillips head on them will work in the standoffs.
Feb 1, 2022
Maybe the standoff is faulty, you can replace the standoff too (re-use an old one), it's just another type of screw.
What do you mean by that? The motherboard is ATX so we need all 9 that are already preinstalled. Is the case supposed to come with more? Or do you mean to shuffle the standoffs around or something

Hey guys! My friend and I are first time PC builders, we've watched a couple of videos on how to build a PC but we got stuck on this one part. The case we have is a Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh Edition. The standoffs were pre installed. When we try to screw in the motherboard screw, it just keeps inifintely spinning. There are two types of screws: long one and short ones. The bigger ones have thicker threading. And there are only 2 long ones and approx 20 short ones. We've tried short and long, different, standoffs, and still the same issue. Help please!! 🙏
Do these screws work in any of the standoffs?

What do you mean by that? The motherboard is ATX so we need all 9 that are already preinstalled. Is the case supposed to come with more? Or do you mean to shuffle the standoffs around or something

I've seen brand-new motherboards that came with spare standoff and screws.

But even if it's not the case, you can try to use some old standoffs and screws laying around.

I don't think that Phanteks bothered making their own non-standard standoffs and screws.

Feb 1, 2022
Do these screws work in any of the standoffs?
😅Thanks Mate. It looks like Phanteks just threw all the screws into one bag and amazon didn't include the manual. So we looked at the online manual and there are different kinds of screws. They look similar at first glance but they are not.

Feb 17, 2022
There are a few things that could be causing your motherboard screw to infinitely spin. It could be that the screw is stripped, meaning there is damage to the threads of the screw. This damage can cause the screw to spin without tightening or loosening. Alternatively, it could be that the hole in the motherboard is too big for the screw, which also causes it to spin without tightening or loosening. Finally, it could be that you're using the wrong type of screw.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Most common error causing infinite rotations is use of the wrong screw in the standoff. Either the screw is slightly too long, and was supposed to have a washer between the head and mobo, or the thread was wrong and has consequently crossthreaded and bound up. Both situations mean the standoff has stripped or the hole in the motherboard tray is stripped, which allows the standoff to constantly spin.

There's only one fix. Replace the standoff. If the old standoff was stripped, it's an easy standard replacement. If the hole is stripped, you'll need to purchase a replacement with a larger thread.

ATX mobo's have 9 possible standoff locations. Many cases don't use all 9, they'll only use 8, the center standoff being a staging pin to align the mobo correctly. In no case Must you use all 9, I've seen plenty mounted with just 4 or 6. Some cases don't even use screws, have nothing but plastic pushpin clips.

Feb 1, 2022
Most common error causing infinite rotations is use of the wrong screw in the standoff. Either the screw is slightly too long, and was supposed to have a washer between the head and mobo, or the thread was wrong and has consequently crossthreaded and bound up. Both situations mean the standoff has stripped or the hole in the motherboard tray is stripped, which allows the standoff to constantly spin.

There's only one fix. Replace the standoff. If the old standoff was stripped, it's an easy standard replacement. If the hole is stripped, you'll need to purchase a replacement with a larger thread.

ATX mobo's have 9 possible standoff locations. Many cases don't use all 9, they'll only use 8, the center standoff being a staging pin to align the mobo correctly. In no case Must you use all 9, I've seen plenty mounted with just 4 or 6. Some cases don't even use screws, have nothing but plastic pushpin clips.
We figured that out and completed the build a couple days after this post but thanks anyway 😅

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
A VERY important possible cause you need to consider. It MAY be that the one screw that you are trying to install does NOT have a stand-off under the mobo to reach. Not having one screw installed is not a big deal. BUT if there really is NO stand-off under the mobo at that mounting hole, then very likely there IS a stand-off in the WRONG location under the mobo! That can cause major problems!

Note exactly which mounting hole location is the problem. Carefully remove all the mounting screws and lift the mobo out. Examine where all of the stand-offs ARE located, and match them all to the mobo mounting holes. ESPECIALLY examine the one hole where your problem is. I bet there is no stand-off there. So then look at all the stand-offs already installed on the back plate, and identify whether one is placed where there is NO matching mounting hole in the mobo. Are there really nine in total? Unscrew the mis-located one and re-install it in a threaded hole in the back plate that DOES match the mobo hole where you have the problem. Now re-install the mobo and its mounting screws.