[SOLVED] Motherboard screw wont go in or come out

Britishblue

Prominent
Sep 14, 2021
I recently got a new motherboard. I was screwing it into the standoffs but one of the screws right at the bottom of the board wouldnt go in. It just stopped halfway in and wouldnt go further. If I try to take it out it just goes out a little bit then starts making PING sounds every so often as I turn it. I cant remove it or screw it in more. I tried pulling it a bit with pliers and tried wiggling it and pulling a little with my fingers and it wont come out. Any Ideas as to why ? Thanks

Last edited:
Solution
Any way to fix that without taking off the other screws and the motherboard? If not then I guess I'll just leave it. It's ok to be missing one screw ? Its at the bottom of the board and I just use the stock cooler .

Typically speaking, having one screw missing is going to be no manner of issue at all. Repair would be something along the line of removing all the other mobo screws, removal, then using a pair of plyers on the standoff to remove the screw (assuming it will come apart readily).
Considering that once your system is built and together, short of cleaning or parts upgrades it never gets touched inside.

Britishblue

Prominent
Sep 14, 2021
Most likely cross threaded into the standoff. You are probably turning it rather than the screw.
Any way to fix that without taking off the other screws and the motherboard? If not then I guess I'll just leave it. It's ok to be missing one screw ? Its at the bottom of the board and I just use the stock cooler .

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador

Typically speaking, having one screw missing is going to be no manner of issue at all. Repair would be something along the line of removing all the other mobo screws, removal, then using a pair of plyers on the standoff to remove the screw (assuming it will come apart readily).
Considering that once your system is built and together, short of cleaning or parts upgrades it never gets touched inside.

Solution