Question Motherboard seemingly dead after new GPU install

guttel

Prominent
Jul 19, 2021
Hello. I am sorry if this post is in the wrong category, please move it to the appropriate category if this is not the correct one.

I recently bought a new RTX 3070 to replace my GTX 1060.

1. I unplugged all devices (USB keyboard, mouse, screens, everything)
  2. I unplugged the PSU from the wall socket, and turned the PSU switch to 0.
  3. I opened the case, made sure I was grounded correctly.
  4. I removed the GTX 1060.
  5. I installed the RTX 3070.
  6. Put the case lid back on.

I then tried to turn on the computer with the power button. Turned on for 0.1 second, then off. The motherboard LED turns on for the same amount of time. I then tried debugging by:
  1. Unplugging and removing the RTX 3070.
  2. Unplugging all fans, except the CPU fan.
  3. Removing the SSD drive.
  4. Removing the RAM chips.
  5. Jump started the PSU - GPU works as expected, fan spins.
  6. Removed motherboard from case onto a non-conductive surface, connected the PSU to only the motherboard - both cables. Tried to jump start the motherboard by shorting the power buttons on the JFPT1. Same result - the motherboard LED goes on for 0.1 second, then off.

System:
  • Noctua NH-U12S CPU fan
  • 2x Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz 16GB
  • MSI MPG B550 GAMING PLUS motherboard
  • WD Black SN750 1TB M.2 SSD
  • AMD RYZEN 5 5600X 3,7 GHZ CPU

I'm starting to worry that I have somehow broken my motherboard, but I can't see how when I have properly grounded and disconnected everything from the power when just changing the GPU.
Is there something obvious I am missing in my debugging?

All tips are greatly appreciated as I am getting increasinly worried..

Thank you.

if you put 1060 back, could it run normally?

if so, try to disconnect internet, and perform a DDU uninstall and shut down. replace gpu and try to boot.

Somehow it is kind of PSU problem to me if it wont even turn on, make sure you do use 1 pcie cable per slot instead of daisy chaining it.

guttel

Prominent
Jul 19, 2021
if you put 1060 back, could it run normally?

if so, try to disconnect internet, and perform a DDU uninstall and shut down. replace gpu and try to boot.

Somehow it is kind of PSU problem to me if it wont even turn on, make sure you do use 1 pcie cable per slot instead of daisy chaining it.

Sadly reconnecting the 1060 does not work. The motherboard (and GPU) turns on for 0.1 second then off again. I have also tried to reset the CMOS and applied new thermal paste to the CPU, but to the same result.

Reactions: Koekieezz
Sadly reconnecting the 1060 does not work. The motherboard (and GPU) turns on for 0.1 second then off again. I have also tried to reset the CMOS and applied new thermal paste to the CPU, but to the same result.
Try to take everything off, put the motherboard ontop of a cardboard or something non metal and non conducting, then assemble every part and try to see if it boots.

guttel

Prominent
Jul 19, 2021
Just to update here. Finally got the answer to this mysterium and it turns out the PSU was broken. With a new PSU, the computer turned on, but turned out it couldn't run more than one RAM stick at a time, and it was determined that the motherboard was defective as well. RMA, getting a new MOBO.