Question Motherboard Selection Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCDesignerR

Honorable
BANNED
Jul 30, 2014
Hello fellow enthusiasts!

Right now, if you could select any motherboard, non-server board, on the Intel or AMD side for building your next computer, which motherboard would you select and why?

Thanks for knowledge and information!

Oct 16, 2019
I selected ASRock Phantom Gaming 9 just a week ago when making my new computer. It has everything on it, supports everything I can think of or try to do including heavy overclock, and well it is one of the premium models which suits perfectly for i9-9900k which I have.

PCDesignerR

Honorable
BANNED
Jul 30, 2014
Oct 16, 2019
I was primarily looking at z390 gaming pro carbon ac, but then decided to get a great rather than just good motherboard because it is something I won't be changing as long as the pc is working or I make a new one, plus I don't like adding too many pcie cards for wifi, or use external ones, would rather pay for it being built in the motherboard itself. Phantom gaming 9 have multiple gigabit Lan adapter and ports and gigabit wifi up to around 1.7 gbps which is as good as I would need for the years to come.

Reactions: PCDesignerR
I am a Gigabyte fan at the moment especially as they have listened and completely overhauled there VRM setup on the Z390 motherboards with even the low end boards having a 10 Phase and mid range boards with a 12 phase..on the high end with the Ultra and Master, they have really gone to town...

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
If you are looking at AMD, make sure the boards have decent VRMs. A number of boards have crappy VRMs which hit 100+ degrees under load, while the best boards will stay at 50 degrees. Anything over 80 degrees would not be recommended. This is a big problem with the MSi MPG series of motherboards, some boards hit 120 degrees and the board throttles the CPU until it cools down. There are a number of videos by Hardware Unboxed on Youtube that discusses this problem.

The cause of the problem is that the boards were not engineered for the 105-watt AMD CPUs. They are perfectly fine for the 65-watt CPUs.

PCDesignerR

Honorable
BANNED
Jul 30, 2014
If you are looking at AMD, make sure the boards have decent VRMs. A number of boards have crappy VRMs which hit 100+ degrees under load, while the best boards will stay at 50 degrees. Anything over 80 degrees would not be recommended. This is a big problem with the MSi MPG series of motherboards, some boards hit 120 degrees and the board throttles the CPU until it cools down. There are a number of videos by Hardware Unboxed on Youtube that discusses this problem.

The cause of the problem is that the boards were not engineered for the 105-watt AMD CPUs. They are perfectly fine for the 65-watt CPUs.

Wow thank you I will definitely be looking into this! Do you have a specific board in mind you'd like to recommend?

PCDesignerR

Honorable
BANNED
Jul 30, 2014

Also I am going for the Intel side for now looking at the i9-9900KS for the next build. :) And using a Corsair Hydro H115i Pro CPU cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.