Motherboard Short-circuited? ASUS P8Z68V

Thale

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2011
2
0
18,510
Hi,

This is my first time assembling a desktop PC.
After everything is in place, I turned on the computer and there was quick flash of lights followed by the smell of the magic smoke...

I believe I short-circuited something. But everything was connected at the moment so I was not sure which component I short-circuited.

I did a simple test on the motherboard with CPU and graphic card on only. all other connections, except for the EATX power, the EATX 12V, the CPU fans, and the AD'97 header connections are removed. When the power supply is on, the power supply shows a stand-by light and the motherboard power-on switch light is on (red in color) I then shorted the power pins with a screw driver quickly. Now there is a quick spin of fans and nothing else happens. The motherboard is not boosted.

the mother board i'm using is ASUS P8Z68-V
I would like to ask these questions:
1) Did I short-circuit my mother board?
2) Did I short-circuit anything else, like graphic card, CPU, power-supply etc? what can I do to find out?

All helps are appreciated. Again I'm quite a beginner. Thanks so much
 

Thale

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2011
2
0
18,510



Thanks so much!

Actually there are no physical burnt marks on the motherboard except the solder on some of the mounting holes are melted. I guess the reason is very likely that I over-tightened it or shorted it with the case.

Also first round of inspection shows that my CPU is probably damaged too. The heat paste on the bottom of the heat sink is all melted on the metal top of the CPU. This is really bad.

I'll keep checking other parts with another motherboard. Again, thanks so much.