Motherboard shorting on case help

Jan 5, 2019
My motherboard was shorting on my case, so I took it out to test it, and it worked, but then I proceeded to put it right back I, because it’s I’m not very smart. It, obviously, didn’t work, so I took it out again, but now it doesn’t even work outside of my case. Any help you guys could give would be appreciated. Thanks!

USAFRet

Titan

Why was it shorting out? Lack of standoffs?
You may have killed the motherboard.

Jan 5, 2019
Ok so an update, it now kinda loads up, but gets stuck on the bios screen, with blue lines going across it, which might be because of a bad bios chip? I think it’s not completely fried, but it has a problem still. And I don’t have standoffs in my case, but I haven’t for the entire 3-4 years that I’ve had this computer, and it hasn’t ever had problems with it.

USAFRet

Titan

"Don't have standoffs"
Is the case supposed to have them? If so, you were lucky for the last 3-4 years.

"kinda loads up, but gets stuck on the bios screen" means that something is "broken".
Unlikely the BIOS chip suddenly went bad, other than shorting out.

How did you determine it was shorting out?

Jan 5, 2019
Whoops sorry, I now realize I was thinking of something else when I said I didn’t haven standoffs. I do have standoffs in my case, and my motherboard is attached to them. Another piece of information I found is that if I put my graphics card in my motherboard, it reverts to doing the repeated turning on and off that it started with, and then continues to do that, even after I’ve removed the card. Somehow, it reset overnight so that even though I plugged my graphics card in last night and it stopped starting, it went to the bios screen and got stuck there when I tried this morning. I don’t know if this helps, but maybe it will.

Jan 5, 2019
In addition to this, I found that if I remove my RAM and/or reseat it in a different slot, it takes a lot longer for the computer to switch itself off. Originally, it would turn on for about 5 seconds, and then turn off, but with reseated RAM, it turns on for roughly 20 seconds before turning back off