Question Motherboard shorting out when installing Hyper 212 BE Cooler ?

Jun 5, 2021
So I recently upgraded my computer and got a Core i5-11400F with a ASUS TUF B560M MOBO. Initially when I set it up, it ran fine and booted into Windows but it was instantly overheating with the stock Intel cooler it came with. I decided to use my Hyper 212 BE Cooler and see if that would improve things however when I installed it the motherboard wouldn't get power. After hours of troubleshooting and reinstalling the stock cooler and then the Hyper 212 again and again I came to the conclusion that there was a short when I screw the heatsink screws all the way in. I was finally able to get it running by loosening the screws about halfway and it runs fine.

The tempatures are acceptable now with the Hyper 212 installed but I still feel like it shouldn't be left halfway screwed in. I'm trying to figure out what could be causing the short when the bolts are screwed all the way in and the only thing I can think of is there bolts are making contact with the standoffs and shorting because there's no washers there or anything. The cooler worked fine in my other motherboard (AM3+) but this one has a weird shorting issue.

Has anyone run into this issue before or have any clue as how to fix this?

Lutfij

Titan
I don't it can be a short of sorts, in fact maybe the undue mounting pressure(which can also happen with AIO's) can cause the board to not want to fire up, much like how a processor not being in, in the first place causes a no boot situation. Yes, I've run into this issue with AIO's, air cooler and even with a stock AMD wraith cooler(the one with the screws) since someone decided to overtighten the screws, to the point I broke a sweat trying to unscrew them.

Mind sharing a video or picture of the cooler installation? I'm somewhat certain that the orientation of the cooler might be wrong or that you're applying too much tightening force onto the mount.

Jun 5, 2021
I don't it can be a short of sorts, in fact maybe the undue mounting pressure(which can also happen with AIO's) can cause the board to not want to fire up, much like how a processor not being in, in the first place causes a no boot situation. Yes, I've run into this issue with AIO's, air cooler and even with a stock AMD wraith cooler(the one with the screws) since someone decided to overtighten the screws, to the point I broke a sweat trying to unscrew them.

Mind sharing a video or picture of the cooler installation? I'm somewhat certain that the orientation of the cooler might be wrong or that you're applying too much tightening force onto the mount.

Well in this situation I doubt there can be that much pressure here because the screws aren't even tight all the way when the mobo shorts out/stops receiving power. Like we're talking hand tightened here any more than halfway and it's shorting out. I'll post the images though. The last image is the backplate the Hyper 212 comes with and the standoffs screw into.

t3Y2tUz.jpg
bqNHbPf.jpg
8JpdUCK.jpg
0xTN0lt.jpg