[SOLVED] Motherboard showing red light next to CPU on startup

Mar 7, 2021
Hi everyone,

Today when I got off work, my computer wouldn't boot properly. The fans and internal lights are all working, but I'm getting nothing on my monitor. It worked fine yesterday and I've not changed any hardware in over 6 months.

There is a red light on my motherboard that is surrounded by 3 other lights (DRAM, VGA, and BOOT). I can boot in safe mode to access BIOS, but will encounter the same issue as soon as I exit BIOS.

I went ahead and tried to re-seat my CPU, my CPU fan, my RAM, my GPU, reset my BIOS to default, removed my CMOS battery for 5 minutes, and even pulled a CMOS battery off an old motherboard of mine to see if my current one was dead.

Any help is greatly appreciated, hopefully I'm not looking at an expensive repair.

My hardware is:
GPU: EVGA 2070 Super
RAM: 32gb 3600mhz G.Skill TridentZ RAM
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x
Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus (WI-FI)
Power Supply: EVGA 650W Gold

Update:

I got my computer to boot by removing one of the RAM sticks. I replaced the second stick, and the computer booted, however when I went to change my BIOS to enable D.O.C.P and set my ram speed, I started encountering the same problem.

The computer will not boot with two sticks in anymore, I run in to the same issue where the CPU light is red. With only one stick in the system boots consistently.

Update 2:

Updating my BIOS seems to be a temporary solution. Both sticks of RAM are in, D.O.C.P is enabled and they're running at full speed. I'm getting occasional bluescreen crashes, and I ran Windows Memory Diagnostic and it found hardware issues in my RAM.

If anyone else is having this issue, your RAM may be at fault, otherwise I'm not sure what could be going on.

Last edited:
Solution
Maybe is a bios issue, wait for newer bios to come out.

Can try and set ram at 3200mhz, see if that helps. Raise the voltage a little. Maybe even for the SOC.

If the ram is really bad contact G.Skill or better first the shop you bought it from and get a replacement kit.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Maybe is a bios issue, wait for newer bios to come out.

Can try and set ram at 3200mhz, see if that helps. Raise the voltage a little. Maybe even for the SOC.

If the ram is really bad contact G.Skill or better first the shop you bought it from and get a replacement kit.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS