[SOLVED] Motherboard showing VGA issue lights and PC takes forever to boot?

Mar 4, 2022
Howdy, I recently bought a new motherboard/CPU/RAM and ever since I installed it I've been having trouble upon startup for my machine. My specs are now: CPU: I5- 12400, GPU:GTX 1660, MOBO: MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4

Most of the issues have been resolved, but now every time I boot the EZ-Debug light is active for the VGA . This is strange to me because the GPU is plugged in, and it does work normally once the computer is on. Booting just takes like 3 minutes, and during this time that light stays on on the motherboard. I have windows on an SSD so I feel like it shouldn't take that long, and I had no problems with my old parts.

I've tried updating the bios, reinstalling windows, updating drivers, plugging in my GPU to the other PCI-E ports and nothing has worked. I'm open to any suggestions, thanks so much!

Solution
View: https://imgur.com/a/hRI2XEz

Here is the link, I didn't know what to grab so I just took 2 screenshots that seemed relevant.
Data in that health tab is is actually from the drive SMART (Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology) is a monitoring system included in HDDs and SSDs its function is to detect and report various indicators of drive reliability (health) so that imminent hardware failures can be anticipated.

You have one instance of 'Iterface CRC error count. That's sort of showing a communication problem between the drive and the controller happened once most of the time because of the SATA data cable. Even if SATA data cables bent more than 90 degrees they might cause...
Mar 4, 2022
Also any HDDs in the system? How's its health? Have you rexently checked the hard drive's SMART (if any)?
I have a 1TB SSD, a 240 GB SSD (that my OS is on), and a 1TB HDD. I just ran the "wmic diskdrive get status " command in the command prompt and it said OK, but I've never checked a smart status before so let me know if you know a better way!

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
I have a 1TB SSD, a 240 GB SSD (that my OS is on), and a 1TB HDD. I just ran the "wmic diskdrive get status " command in the command prompt and it said OK, but I've never checked a smart status before so let me know if you know a better way!
You can run CrystalDiskInfo from here, HDTune from here or HD Sentinel from here and they'll provide a SMART reading/health of the HDD. You can upload a shot to imgur.com and post link here.

Reactions: GoodKidSAADCity

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
View: https://imgur.com/a/hRI2XEz

Here is the link, I didn't know what to grab so I just took 2 screenshots that seemed relevant.
Data in that health tab is is actually from the drive SMART (Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology) is a monitoring system included in HDDs and SSDs its function is to detect and report various indicators of drive reliability (health) so that imminent hardware failures can be anticipated.

You have one instance of 'Iterface CRC error count. That's sort of showing a communication problem between the drive and the controller happened once most of the time because of the SATA data cable. Even if SATA data cables bent more than 90 degrees they might cause such errors.

You can try a different SATA cable but I wouldn't worry because it only happened once. If I'm not mistaken there a slight difference in the interference tolerance that can cause communication issues at full speed if you use a SATA 2 cable on a SATA 3 drive/connector. However given that your hardware is quite new I doubt the cable is a SATA 2 one unless moved from a previous build/rig? Anyway changing the SATA cable wouldn't hurt.

The more important issue here is the 1 pending sector. When sectors in HDDs are degrading and the drive has a hard time reading data from them (they are becoming "bad sector"s) it tries to read the data and move it to a reserve sectors drives have and flag it as "do not use". When it succeeds to read and move that data it calls it a "reallocated sector" the count for which currently for your drive is 0. This means each time the system POSTs the drive tries to read that sector and move it which has a certain time out period. This might be what keeps your PC from booting quickly after it POSTs.

You can try disconnecting the drive (unplug its SATA power and data cables) and try booting the system a few times. If it boots fast as it should with the OS on the SSD the HDD is the culprit.

That might not be that alarming but I would move/backup any important and irreplacable files from the drive and keep and eye on it's health. You never know it might work a few more years or the number of sectors which it can't read properly might increase and the bad sectors then cause the drive to fail.

Reactions: bennybaconburger
Solution