[SOLVED] Motherboard shuts off after <1 second

Aug 8, 2022
Hello,

I built my PC about a year ago and just moved to a new place with it (I removed and re-installed the GPU during the process).
There hasn't been any problems until yesterday, when I saw most of my screen go blue with only top showing my desktop.
Today, the system boots for <1 second and shuts off. After shutting off, it does not boot at all until I turn the PSU off and on again.

Here are some things I've tried:
  • I have removed the GPU and RAM to try and isolate the issue
  • I have unplugged and replugged all the cables
  • I have re-installed the CPU
  • I saw some tip about clearing the CMOS (via removing the battery and short-circuiting CLRTC on the motherboard). When booting the system after, we did turn on for ~10 seconds with the LED indicator showing solid yellow before shutting off again.
Even after trying the steps above, the problem of shutting off immediately persists -- could it be a PSU or motherboard issue?

PC Specs:
  • CPU: Ryzen 7 5700G
  • RAM: GSkill 16 GB x 2
  • Motherboard: ROG B550-F
  • GPU: AMD RX 6600 XT
  • PSU: EVGA 650 GT
Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Probably a grounding issue or your PSU conked out. The latter can be solved by borrowing a reliably built 650W PSU from your neighbor or friend. The former needs a little bit of verifying. Do you feel a mild tingling sensation when you touch the metal part of your case while your feet make contact with a titled, non carpeted, non wooden floor?

You might want to look into CrashFree BIOS 3 option, page 3-4 in your motherboard manual.

Reactions: danagall

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Probably a grounding issue or your PSU conked out. The latter can be solved by borrowing a reliably built 650W PSU from your neighbor or friend. The former needs a little bit of verifying. Do you feel a mild tingling sensation when you touch the metal part of your case while your feet make contact with a titled, non carpeted, non wooden floor?

You might want to look into CrashFree BIOS 3 option, page 3-4 in your motherboard manual.

Reactions: danagall
Aug 8, 2022
Thank you for the warm welcome!

While testing if its a grounding issue (I did not feel a tingling sensation), we had a pretty sustained boot from the system (~2 mins) with a solid yellow light the whole time and shut off afterwards.

I will ask a friend if they have a PSU handy.

Aug 8, 2022
UPDATE: the issue has been solved!
I tried putting everything back in to check if it was a faulty RAM by chance and it seems to be functioning properly.
Perhaps the RAM got loose during transit.
Thank you for your help nonetheless!

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022
Update 2: Computer shut down again in the same fashion -- still having the same issue of the motherboard turning off immediately after booting.
Will try out another PSU to see if that was the issue.
Taking other suggestions for solutions!

ASK THE COMMUNITY