[SOLVED] Motherboard shuts off after <1 second

Aug 8, 2022
Hello,

I built my PC about a year ago and just moved to a new place with it (I removed and re-installed the GPU during the process).
There hasn't been any problems until yesterday, when I saw most of my screen go blue with only top showing my desktop.
Today, the system boots for <1 second and shuts off. After shutting off, it does not boot at all until I turn the PSU off and on again.

Here are some things I've tried:
  • I have removed the GPU and RAM to try and isolate the issue
  • I have unplugged and replugged all the cables
  • I have re-installed the CPU
  • I saw some tip about clearing the CMOS (via removing the battery and short-circuiting CLRTC on the motherboard). When booting the system after, we did turn on for ~10 seconds with the LED indicator showing solid yellow before shutting off again.
Even after trying the steps above, the problem of shutting off immediately persists -- could it be a PSU or motherboard issue?

PC Specs:
  • CPU: Ryzen 7 5700G
  • RAM: GSkill 16 GB x 2
  • Motherboard: ROG B550-F
  • GPU: AMD RX 6600 XT
  • PSU: EVGA 650 GT

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you.

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Probably a grounding issue or your PSU conked out. The latter can be solved by borrowing a reliably built 650W PSU from your neighbor or friend. The former needs a little bit of verifying. Do you feel a mild tingling sensation when you touch the metal part of your case while your feet make contact with a titled, non carpeted, non wooden floor?

You might want to look into CrashFree BIOS 3 option, page 3-4 in your motherboard manual.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Probably a grounding issue or your PSU conked out. The latter can be solved by borrowing a reliably built 650W PSU from your neighbor or friend. The former needs a little bit of verifying. Do you feel a mild tingling sensation when you touch the metal part of your case while your feet make contact with a titled, non carpeted, non wooden floor?

You might want to look into CrashFree BIOS 3 option, page 3-4 in your motherboard manual.

Reactions: danagall
Solution
Aug 8, 2022
Thank you for the warm welcome!

While testing if its a grounding issue (I did not feel a tingling sensation), we had a pretty sustained boot from the system (~2 mins) with a solid yellow light the whole time and shut off afterwards.

I will ask a friend if they have a PSU handy.

Aug 8, 2022
UPDATE: the issue has been solved!
I tried putting everything back in to check if it was a faulty RAM by chance and it seems to be functioning properly.
Perhaps the RAM got loose during transit.
Thank you for your help nonetheless!

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2022
Update 2: Computer shut down again in the same fashion -- still having the same issue of the motherboard turning off immediately after booting.
Will try out another PSU to see if that was the issue.
Taking other suggestions for solutions!