Motherboard Splash Screen on for 10 whole seconds before boot...

HuiDoge

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014
Hello, all. I recently built my first computer.

Recently, my motherboard splash screen has been staying on for 10 seconds before booting. Is this normal?

Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-HD3
A full part list can be provided if that is of any assistance.

I have not had this happen before, at least during the first week I used my computer. Obviously, I've been looking for ways to make boots faster and make my SSD (boot drive) last longer.

Are there any known settings I accidentally enabled or disabled while looking for ways to "improve" my system that would have caused this? Any other quick fixes?

I have heard that replacing the CMOS battery can't hurt. Also, there is an option to have "Fast Boot" enabled, but as said, I have not had this happen before, even with "Fast Boot" disabled. In addition, should I update my BIOS with the utility provided by Gigabyte?

Lastly, I do notice that this only happens during a full startup. If I shut down, then turn it on, the splash will be on for the 10 seconds. However, if I restart, that does not happen. I would assume something within the MOBO is taking a while to initialize...

Solution
I would do a back-up to be safe (if you can). But it shouldn't affect your hard drive. If the hard drive doesn't have your OS on it, then you could unplug the data cable to be sure it will not.

Actually you could unplug the hard drive regardless, it will just not stat the operating system until after you are done.

HuiDoge

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014

Will this in any way affect the data I have stored on my computer? I am a first timer, so I don't know... What exactly does resetting the CMOS affect?

I would do a back-up to be safe (if you can). But it shouldn't affect your hard drive. If the hard drive doesn't have your OS on it, then you could unplug the data cable to be sure it will not.

Actually you could unplug the hard drive regardless, it will just not stat the operating system until after you are done.

Solution

HuiDoge

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014

Thanks for your help. I will try out what you have suggested soon. A few last questions, though.

I have heard that updating or flashing the BIOS is not a good idea, and even though this may be considered a bug, everything is still in working condition. Would you say I would be safe to flash it? Is this a big enough of an issue?

Also, there is a "Fast Boot" option that I mentioned in my original post. Is it safe to turn that on?

TRENDING THREADS